Free 7800GS - In the Spirit...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Well, Wolf and PETE did give away *expensive* cards, but thats not the point, and that doesn't subtract from your feat of awesomeness by any means. To a lot of people (MYSELF INCLUDED!!!), even a 6600 would be a nice upgrade. As Slim142 said,

PD: Hey hey, a 6600 is still a nice card :wink:

I guess my point is don't try and talk yourself down, because you are responsible for an act of equal greatness. :D

I didn't know about your benchmarks, and will pop on over. Thank you very much for letting me know, and answering my question!

And, Liquidx and paul_baker, this has been killing me JUST AS MUCH for forever...! I never win anything, and from the beginning, was telling myself not to get worked up or anything... but guess what I did... GOT MYSELF WORKED UP! I know that the verdict may not come tonight, as Wolfshadw is a busy guy... but its killing me too!! :lol:

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
As would I, mon copain... as would I. My system is old enough that almost anything would be an upgrade :eek: Some may view it as a bad thing, but I'm optimistic about the matter: when I finally do get money, basically anything that I do will blow my mind, the performance diff will be insane. I'm mostly content with what I have (minus gaming performance)... so when I upgrade, my mind will probably kersplode.

Well, I guess all that I can do at this time is wish everybody luck for the umpteenth time. Who knows when the verdict will come (tonight, tomorrow...), and what it will hold for one of us.

RTSW

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I'm mostly content with what I have (minus gaming performance)... so when I upgrade, my mind will probably kersplode.

So true. I still remember when I made the transition from 486 to Pentium 3. 8O

Space1Monkey

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I remember when PETEvsDRM was on for so long that Sat. morning before announcing his decision. I was going NUTS with the waiting. My wife was ready to kill me with how often I was checking the forum. Good luck to everyone in the contest, I know Wolf has a really hard decision in front of him.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Someone remind me never to do this again! j/k

Congratulations to: Flying-Q

A few of things:

1) 29 Candidates; all deserving people. I wish I could help you all out. I'm sorry that I can't.

2) It was mentioned that this card would probably bottleneck some of the systems listed here. I can say, with experience, it WILL. There is no "probably" about it. The idea behind this giveaway was to give someone a boost in performance at little to no cost. This card simply will not perform on lesser systems. It cost me a significant amount in other hardware upgrades to get the performance I was expecting out of the card. It doesn't make sense to give it to someone, knowing they can't use it to it's potential without other upgrades.

3) To the next person who decides to run a giveaway like this, be warned. This wasn't easy. 4 1/2 hours of compiling and deliberating, tonight. My neighbors prolly think I'm nuts (of course... I am). I'm STILL not sure I'm making the best decision, but I could go on for a few more days and be no closer.

Again, I wish I could do more.

-Wolf sends

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Yayy!!! Flying-Q!! :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Congratulations Flying-Q, I hope you enjoy your new card, and don't forget to tell us how it all works out when you get it!

And, of course, Wolfshadw deserves a lot of thanks, too. I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and the others, and I realize how much of an ordeal and how much of an undertaking this truly is. The Forumz are a better place with you in them! Thanks!

Grats again to Flying-Q, and enjoy!!

...Flying-Q may have gone to bed already or something... I wish there was a way that we could rouse 'im! I almost feel guilty knowing before the winner does :oops:

Space1Monkey

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Congrats Flying-Q!!!

Wolfshadw, I don't envy you having to sort out from 29 contestants. great work and thanks for reaching out to help someone.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Congrats Flying-Q!

For some reason the forumz didn't send me a notice that there were new posts in this thread and I missed all the action and suspension :cry: , was wondering why it was so quiet and was a bit pre-occupied with exams to check it myself, anyway, again congrats to Flying-Q for winning,.

This was really a great thread, hoping that there will more of these types of threads in the future. :wink:

And of coarse, thanks to Wolfshadw who made it happen!

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Congratulations Flying-Q!!

Thanks again to Wolfshadw for this act of utmost generosity. I look forward to seeing more threads like this in the future. I hope that at some point I am in a position to donate some hardware back into this community of enthusiasts that we have all come to love.

Now I can't wait to see Flying-Q's excited post when he finds out!

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Yayy!!! Flying-Q!! :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Congratulations Flying-Q, I hope you enjoy your new card, and don't forget to tell us how it all works out when you get it!

And, of course, Wolfshadw deserves a lot of thanks, too. I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and the others, and I realize how much of an ordeal and how much of an undertaking this truly is. The Forumz are a better place with you in them! Thanks!

Grats again to Flying-Q, and enjoy!!

...Flying-Q may have gone to bed already or something... I wish there was a way that we could rouse 'im! I almost feel guilty knowing before the winner does :oops:

Wow, and I mean a really HUGE WOW.

We have not had a lot of luck recently, but this just turns everything around.

Yes, I had gone to bed as yesterday had been particularly difficult and I had an early start to do a whole pile of arranging for an appointment with a potential care assistant. I didn't get to sit at this machine until after the morning was done and gone. Winning the competition had completely passed me by until I logged into the forum and saw the PM from WolfShadw. I've spent the last half hour reading the rest of the thread from page 4 onwards (I didn't receive any notifications either).

I just got off the phone from my wife, who rang during her break. She may have embarrassed herself with the loud 'YIPPEEE' when I told her the news.

I offer my wife's, my son's and my own heartfelt thanks to WolfShadw for his outstanding generosity. To all of you who have congratulated us, we also thank you for your generosity of spirit. In life there are sometimes little things and sometimes big things that remain in our hearts forever; this is one such moment.

Now comes the quiet anticipation for delivery.

Thankyou again WolfShadw.

Q

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Wow, Flying-Q, very well put. Words like those let me know that Wolfshadw really did pick the right person :D UBER-CONGRATULATIONS!!! I thought that waiting for the verdict was tough... I bet your wait for the card itself will seem like eternity!! HOORAY for you, though! :D :trophy:

RCHflight

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
congragulations on winning Q. If you are so kind i would like to see a few benchmarks my system is nearly identical to yours. o and i hope everything with your son's surgery goes good.

does anyone know when the 6600gt is coming out i would readily enter that contest. its just that sometimes i am not on for long stretches, doing this or that. and one again congragulations!!!! :D

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
congragulations on winning Q. If you are so kind i would like to see a few benchmarks my system is nearly identical to yours. o and i hope everything with your son's surgery goes good.

does anyone know when the 6600gt is coming out i would readily enter that contest. its just that sometimes i am not on for long stretches, doing this or that. and one again congragulations!!!! :D

The 6600 may or may not come out, it all depends. It is a pretty big deal when someone decides to GIVE AWAY one of their useful computer components... I'll keep my eyes peeled, because if its an AGP card, you can bet that I'll be entering :D

MiLkw

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Big congrats over to FlyingQ for the upgrade, and thanks a bunch definitely goes over to WolfShadw. Have fun all.