Free Air Flow Simulator Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
I'm currently looking for a piece of FREE software that I can use to test the airflow on my system as I am thinking about adding some more/better fans and I want to know if it will have a positive/negative impact to the overall airflow.

My case is a In Win GR One I have upgraded all the fans I could and used them in some of my other systems.
I have upgraded them with 3 Quiet Red AF140s (2x intake and 1x GPU cooling), 1x Quiet LEDless AF140 exhaust, 4x LEDless Performance AF120 (1x for cooling the back of my motherboard and 3 as push for my Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate along with 3x Noctua NF-F12s as push.

What I am wondering is, I also have room to put 2 more 140mm fans at the bottom and I am wondering if adding 2 LEDless AF140 Quiet Editions with Low Noise Adapters would help to bring in more air, or would it just simply stop airflow because it is going against the front intake fans.

I would also just love the fact to see how my airflow looks like through some computer software (I mean, it's not like I don't have the horsepower behind me) so any free software would be awesome. Also, the reason I want it to be free is because I don't wanna waste money on a program I will most likely use for 2 computers and then never use it again, unless I'm building a new computer, which will not be any time soon.

Solution
I can't tell if you are joking or not.

In the case you are serious: What you are asking could potentially be someone senior thesis project for fluid dynamics. Sure it can be done, and with free software too but you need programming and advanced math skills. If you are asking this kind of question then you probably do not have the required skills to model this computationally. Maybe blender can do this? Anyway this kinds of problems can be approximated with some graphical analysis and give you an idea of what is going on.

In the simplest case just sit down with a pen/paper and draw some vectors/arrows indicating airflow from fan. Longer arrows for faster airflow and give them a direction. Continue drawing a vector field for many points...
I can't tell if you are joking or not.

In the case you are serious: What you are asking could potentially be someone senior thesis project for fluid dynamics. Sure it can be done, and with free software too but you need programming and advanced math skills. If you are asking this kind of question then you probably do not have the required skills to model this computationally. Maybe blender can do this? Anyway this kinds of problems can be approximated with some graphical analysis and give you an idea of what is going on.

In the simplest case just sit down with a pen/paper and draw some vectors/arrows indicating airflow from fan. Longer arrows for faster airflow and give them a direction. Continue drawing a vector field for many points in your case (which can heavily be approximated by a rectangle). You can probably get an acceptable approximation of reality this way.

Reactions: Acutie
Solution

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Hmmm, well... Since I have basic skills in math and minuscule skills in programming, I would say that free software ain't gonna happen.

But the reason I was asking is because just doing on a piece of paper isn't enough. I am wanting to have 2 low powered fans and I am wanting to know if they will block or slow the stream of air coming into the bottom of the case, or will they just give it a bump to go in the upwards direction or will they cut it off completely.

I'm really just asking for a program that can math out physics such as air currents to see if adding 2 low powered fans will make a positive or negative difference.

What you are looking for is called CFD, and is neither trivial to implement nor going to give you realtime, or even close to realtime results on anything less than a supercomputer. And, such a solution most definitely wouldn't be free. Skittle's solution is best for this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.