Free answers to correcting LinkSys problems

m1garand

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I have a Dell Studio tower connected to a cable modem, works fine. When I installed my Linksys wrt54gl router I have no internet connection. I followed directions step by step, with my computer plugged into any one of the 4 ports on the router, I do not get an indicator light on the front of the router from my pc. All other lights are working as they should. I have tried different cables from pc to router, still no port light comes on. Help
Thanks

G

Did you power cycle the cable modem after connecting it to the WRT54GL? You might have to clone the PCs MAC address on the WRT54GL. Have you tried doing a full reset on the WRT54GL?

m1garand

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Did you power cycle the cable modem after connecting it to the WRT54GL? You might have to clone the PCs MAC address on the WRT54GL. Have you tried doing a full reset on the WRT54GL?

Thanks for the reply. I did power cycle the modem after connecting to the wrt54gl and I have done a full reset on the wrt54gl. I can't clone the mac address, I can not access the wrt54gl(192.168.1.1). When windows tries to fix the problem, it says that the cable from pc to router is not connected, but it is. I have plugged a laptop into port " one" on the wrt54gl and I get port "one" light illuminated, but no port lights from my desktop. And the desktop works with the modem only, but is not connecting with the router.
Computer port problem? It works with the modem.
Thanks

m1garand

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
There is an ethernet cable from cable modem to the router and plugged into the internet port. There is an ethernet cable (tried different ethernet cables) from the desktop to the router plugged into port 1 (have tried all 4 ports) but the router does not recognize the desktop no port lights illuminated. Thanks for the reply

m1garand

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Thanks for the reply, as noted above :I have plugged a laptop into port " one" on the wrt54gl and I get port "one" light illuminated, but no port lights from my desktop. I can access the router from the laptop

The problem here is a failure to communicate.

Check the Speed & Duplex setting of your Network Interface Card. "Auto-Sense" should work.

Start>Control Panel>System>Network Adapters
Double-click on your adapter. Click the Advanced tab.
Look down list for "Speed & Duplex" it should be "Auto-Sense"
If it already set to Auto, change to 100Mbps Full Duplex and try again.
If you don't have a 100Mbps adapter, (hey, it's possible) set to 10Mbps Full Duplex.
No re-boot should be needed if running Win2K or newer. If Win 95/98, yes, re-boot.

m1garand

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Went to Office Max and bought a new ethernet ( network) card, install new card and router workd fine. Problem solved !! Thanks to everyone for the replies, card was the problem.