Free Beer for Memory experts...come on in!

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an MSI K7-Master motherboard. I wanted to know how to set the memory settings. I am a newbie to the BIOS so I will tell you what I think I am supposed to do and you can let me know where I screwed up. Or maybe I have it figured out.

Under the menu "Advanced Chipset Features" I found the following seven entries which I think are the memory settings that the hardware review sites are always talking about when they post there memory settings used in a review. Here is what these settings are (in the same order as seen in the BIOS menu):

xSDRAM PH Limit 8 Cycle
xSDRAM Idle Limit 8 Cycle
xSDRAM Trc Timing Value 8 Cycle
xSDRAM Trp Timing Value 3 Cycle
xSDRAM Tras Timing Value 7 Cycle
xSDRAM CAS Latency 2 Cycle
xSDRAM Tred Timing Value 3 Cycle

In one of THG's articles, http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/01q1/010219/powerbox-04.html ...they state the following in the memory section "The Power Box is equipped with two 128 MB DIMMs of the above-mentioned memory, summing up to 256 MB in total. The memory timing settings in the BIOS of MSI's K7 Master S were 8-8-4-2-2-2-2"

So are the BIOS settings that I listed above the ones that this THG's article is giving values for? When I see a big string of values ("8-8-4-2-2-2-2") I wonder how does someone like me know which BIOS memory option each value applies to. Do the BIOS options always go in the same order on other motherboards as they do in mine? I am aware that generally you lower the settings and check for stability, and then repeat until you can get to the lowest settings. Does it hurt to try it in the lowest settings from the get go. Can the RAM get damaged? Your help is appreciated...Chris

It worked yesterday! :lol:

G

I assume Tom would give the mem settings in order. He was using the same board as you, so it seems only logical. It is unusual to have that many options for memory timing. Usually there is less than about 4 options available.

Essentially, you have the idea - keep tweaking it up a notch at a time until it is not 100% stable, then bring it back a bit.

There is nothing preventing you from setting the timings to the fastest they will go. It won't break the RAM, it might just prevent the computer from working properly. Some boards help you out in that if the board doesn't power up properly, it will default back to slower settings to allow the computer to power on.

At any time the computer won't boot because of a bios setting, you can always reset the bios with a jumpuer, and start from scratch.

Just be aware that the RAM you have is specified to run at some combination of those settings. That doesn't mean it won't work at the faster settings, it just means it isn't guaranteed by the manufacurer.

It's best to tweak one thing at a time. Use common sence, and as always, document the changes you make so you can fix anything that goes wrong :smile:

Hope this helps.

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
mpjesse,

Okay...I am going to be real honest...There is no beer...hehe...but I could use your help if you can...

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks...I am going to try those settings out. I bought crucial memory and on other sites they seem to say that CL2.5 crucial can run at CL2.0 easy. They even have overclocked it as high as 300Mhz.

G

Hey, Hey, Hey! Backing out on your deal, now are you? :smile:

That's false advertising, damn it! :smile: :cool: :wink:

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can get some "Little Smokies" if you would like...I might not offer free beer again because most people paid attention to that and not my question :)