Free Blu-ray media player/codec???

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas33665588

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Is there anything out yet for playing Blu-ray movies on a computer??? such as a free media player like VLC that is capable of playing blu-ray movies bought from shops. or is it only the likes of PowerDVD that play them. i have a Pioneer 202 Blu-ray Rom drive in mty computer if that helps.

Thanks in advanced ;)

darkdayz

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
im seeking the same thing as you are. its impossible to find anything to do with blu-ray on the pc. ive searched and searched and cant find any answers to any of my questions.
I do have PowerDVD 7 ultra that came with my LG Blu-ray/HD DVD drive but ive ran into serious problems with it.
its played about 5 different titles so far without any problems but i got a couple new titles like "Jumper" and it wont play them, it freezes up my computer and then crashes(blue screen of death).
its fustrating because theres so few people out there that even have blu-ray players for the pc. or if there is then i guess theres very few people having problems with them because i cant find any help.
if anyone is having the same problem help me out, i want to know if its something wrong with my hardware or if its simply a much needed patch for powerdvd.

G

I recently picked up a Bule-ray/HD-DVD drive by LG. The copy of Cyberlink DVD Player gives options for playing all three formats but when it comes to playing blur-ray, it simply says that it needs frequent patches then it directed me to DL a new version which only plays DVDs, not the other two formats. Its completely useless for playing blue-ray with so far has made picking up this drive a complete waste.

manltse

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I also bought a LG Blu-ray writer a few days ago, the PowerDVD that come with the drive only request to update some patch (PowerDVD Ultra 7.3) on the first run. After that it runs the Blu-ray movie perfectly. I have not try the HD-DVD so I do not know how it perform.

G

I bought an ASUS blue ray Drive, which seems to work nicely. However I don't have any software for it installed and all it does open folders full of random files.

I'm going to hunt for the discs that came with it, but if anyone has some good software let me know.

My e-mail is redhack@redhack.ca

One would think there'd be an update to windows media player that would play this.

No such luck.

thanks,
K

G

I also purchased the lg several months ago, worked perfect untill cyberlink want me to buy a player, said I have to update....I don't get it WTF!!!!!
I already paid for the software to play blue ray when I purchased the LG.
now the **** just take it away!!!!
FUKKK cyberlink!!!!!
dont give em a penny :fou:

anyone aware of a blue ray program like VLC????

HELP HELP HELP.
dinkus@ohga.org

BigDave

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Got My Asus M50 built in blu ray. thought that there might be something on it but no, can read the disc cant play it :( was was so stoked to see Wanted in HD....

tehattitude

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Hey ppl.. i use Intervideo WinDVD BD for Vaio and it really Works.. till vlc or some other player comes up.. im stickin wit intervideo.. it has never crashed.. i use a sony vaio wit da bd .. and it has never crashed..

hope the info helps..

Aby Tom
aby

beeyang78

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I have a LiteOn BD Player and it came with Power DVD BD version. I installed it and it works perfectly even after the update. It didn't even work the first time, but I read up and it required an HDCP enabled monitor. I then hooked it up to my LCD TV and boy was I surprised. It plays perfectly and I have not had an issue since. I wish that the free version came with THX Surround sound, but I can live with it. If anyone knows a free version that has full surround sound support, let me know.

G

Hey dont you find the the horizontal and vertical is quite juddery with intervideo,picture quality is fine but the judder winds me up no end????

gfn

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009

What monitor do you have specifically that works with power dvd?

beeyang78

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I used my new lcd tv. Any LCD TV is HDCP compatible as long as you use HDMI or Analog VGA. You will have to do a search on LCD monitors to see which ones are HDCP compatible. For sure most newer models will be, but you should still do some research before buying one. I just hooked up my 42 inch TV with 1080p on it and it works like a charm. I also have a 32 inch 720p tv hooked up to another one in my bedroom and it works too but the resolution is not as great. They both work fine with power DVD and a Bluray drive.

bob alou

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I have the same but different problem. I bought a Sony blu-ray cd-rom and it came w/Cyberlink free bundle but not for Vista Ultimate 64-bit. The player only cost $129 and Cyberlink wants $100 for a full suite of software that I only need the 64-bit driver from. What a rip off by Sony. There was nothing on the box that said only 32 bit Vista, just Vista.

tweak2487

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

hey just an fyi thats the not players fault you need to go to lg website and download lg odd auto firmware update and it will auto update your drive to play the newest blu rays

Tayvl

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

You can get a copy of Cyberlink's PowerDVD 8 Ultra, which plays Blu-ray, at oem-soft.com for $16. But minimum order is $30, so you'll have to buy something else along with it.

G

mine crashed 7 times 2day... though that might be due to overheating... but it is really infuriating if it crashes in the middle of a film...

gisellesms

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I have the same WinDVD BD Vaio player as u do, but it doesn't work. It says it can't play protected movies... None of my blu ray discs work on it, but they used to work, so, I don't know what's going on.

coyera

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Will HDMI work with plasma, hp quick play latest version plays the BD but I cannot see it in the tv, only the computer screen, does power dvd 9 really solve this issue? Thanks for any replies!

gumaheru

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Hey coyera I am not sure what you mean by does HDMI work with plasma. HDMI is just an interface that allows a better picture. Its a connector like s-video. You have to make sure that you computer and your tv both have HDMI connectors. Don't confuse HDMI with DVI on your computer. Now if you got the Blue Ray to work on your computer, then you can use your computer as a blue ray player for your TV. On your computer you might have to set your video card for this. This is pretty simple. Go to the settings for your display. You will have some option for split display or extend display or something. Or if you have a laptop you can just used the function key and what ever "F" key for CRT/LCD.

Now I see below that people might have a problem because of HDCP. Here is a page that talks a bit about it if you want to read up on it. http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp

So what it looks like, you need to make sure that your video card has HDCP support and your TV is HDCP compatible. Then you will have to use a HDMI or a DVI cable as this allows for HDCP connections. Its all Intel's fault. Oh yeah for some movies that don't play on your computer guys, I have found that not all movies have HDCP protection. Also HDCP isn't a standard with computer monitors. So this may explain why only some movies work and others don't. Its all in the url above.

Careless

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

oem-soft.com is just another site selling pirated software.

Sam_Malloch

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

I know this original message was posted nearly 6 months ago but i thought i'd give you a bit of info. I too have a Sony Vaio, i bought it nearly 18 months ago and it came with a Blu-Ray reader and writer drive and WinDVD BD for Vaio pre-installed. Only now i can't play rental BD because i need to update the AACS and surprise, surprise i have to pay for it. Now i'm wondering how long it'll be before the player stops completely. As it's an OEM copy i'm not entitled to any support either, so just watch out, what at first seems really good, ends up just being as cak as everything else!

Sam Malloch

Oraculo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I have LG BD / HD DVD player. PowerDVD bundled with this drive allows to play BD, but I am a bit confused with resolution. Native resolution for my DELL 2709W is 1920x1200 so 1080p video should have only small black stripes (60 pixels height), but what I see looks more like 720p. Is there any way to check current HD video mode?
P.S. PowerDVD shows only video bandwidth. BD itself ("I am legend") is definetely 1080p.

G

Just because it is filmed in 1080p dos it not means that the picture is 1080px high, there is also an aspect ratio and most new moves is filmed in "ultra-cinema" (21:9), and the screens we mostly a using is 16:10 on computers and 16:9 on TV-screens so the black strips in top and button is going to be more then 60px if the move is filmed in 21:9 and less if its filmed in 16:9 and total away if it filmed in 19:10 even if it filmed in 1080p.!

Worlds first 21:9 Television:
http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/televisions/33092/cat/gb/

Status
Not open for further replies.