[SOLVED] Free space to leave in 240GB SSD

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Hello. I'm using a 240GB ssd for installing games. I'm using only 90gbs now. I want to install WoW and it requires 60gb. How many space should I leave free? I don't want my ssd getting slower. Installing WoW i 'll be using at least 70% of it's capacity.

Solution
I think it really depends on the SSD as well. Some have lots of memory on board and/or over provisioning. Others have no RAM or little extra space. Those that have their own ram and extra room won't need to have 20-25%+ space free. While those with no ram and no extra space need as much room as you can give them.

I could be wrong but the type of SSD cells might also play a part. Many TLC and/or QLC drives run slower once you fill up their first layer of cells. Once you use up the faster SLC "Buffer" they slow down a lot. To my knowledge there is no way to make it run fast again until you free up the space. But a lot of this depends on the drive you have.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Hello. I'm using a 240GB ssd for installing games. I'm using only 90gbs now. I want to install WoW and it requires 60gb. How many space should I leave free? I don't want my ssd getting slower. Installing WoW i 'll be using at least 70% of it's capacity.

WoW takes something close to 90GB once all the updating is done. For maximum performance on an SSD you don't wont to use more than 75% of space.

4745454b

Titan
I think it really depends on the SSD as well. Some have lots of memory on board and/or over provisioning. Others have no RAM or little extra space. Those that have their own ram and extra room won't need to have 20-25%+ space free. While those with no ram and no extra space need as much room as you can give them.

I could be wrong but the type of SSD cells might also play a part. Many TLC and/or QLC drives run slower once you fill up their first layer of cells. Once you use up the faster SLC "Buffer" they slow down a lot. To my knowledge there is no way to make it run fast again until you free up the space. But a lot of this depends on the drive you have.

Solution