FREE Sync and G sync

Jul 13, 2018
I am using an AMD ryzen 5 1500x but at the same time I am using a Nvidia Graphics card GTX 1060 3GB. What type of sync will I need?
Will it also be fine if I get a 144Hz monitor without any of the sync but keep the frame under 144 FPS.
Thanks, Joel

Solution
If you already have an Nvidia card, there's no reason NOT to get g-sync, but price tends to turn folks away from it. But there's nothing wrong with getting a monitor that doesn't have either feature - IMO, only if g-sync is too expensive for you. No point in getting a freesync monitor with an Nvidia card and vice versa, as nothing would happen, and you'd waste money, even more so with an AMD card and g-sync monitor.

Unfortunately, getting a 144hz monitor would do little good with your current card, unless you turn down some settings. You'll want 1060 6gb or higher tier card.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you already have an Nvidia card, there's no reason NOT to get g-sync, but price tends to turn folks away from it. But there's nothing wrong with getting a monitor that doesn't have either feature - IMO, only if g-sync is too expensive for you. No point in getting a freesync monitor with an Nvidia card and vice versa, as nothing would happen, and you'd waste money, even more so with an AMD card and g-sync monitor.

Unfortunately, getting a 144hz monitor would do little good with your current card, unless you turn down some settings. You'll want 1060 6gb or higher tier card.

Solution
Jul 13, 2018

What do you mean it will do little good?

A freesync monitor will work perfectly fine with an Nvidia monitor, and since Freesync is "free" then you should get one of them.
Gsync is now proven to be up to 10% slower tha Freesync when running HDR in high resolutions.
a 144 Freesync will work with adaptive sync. So nvidia can still use 144, just not gsync enabled which is way too costly and generally not worth it.

Jul 13, 2018

What about just a 144hz? what I was thinking is that the graphics card will achieve under 144hz so I know there wont be any screen tearing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A 1060 3gb will struggle with 144hz without turning down settings. It's great for 60hz though. At least 1060 6gb or higher, otherwise.

But why would you get a high refresh monitor KNOWING that your current card can't maintain it reliably? Stick with a 60hz monitor and turn on v-sync - but you may not even need it, depending on the game.
I'd totally get your plight if you had something like a GTX 1080 running a 60hz monitor, though.

There can still be screen tearing even below the monitor refresh,basically it's the same problem the GPU can't produce a full frame for each refresh.

In any case you can use fast sync with nvidia on any monitor even if it doesn't have any *sync tech.
Fast sync produces as many frames as possible but only shows a frame on monitor refresh so you don't get any tearing.