[SOLVED] Free tool for data recovery?

lahatte

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Is there such a beast, that will actually recover data, rather than pointing you to buy something? Thanks.

lahatte

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Thanks.
These are spinning drives, both with some corruption it seems. Not just a simple undelete. The OS doesn't find a formatted file system.

Thanks.
These are spinning drives, both with some corruption it seems. Not just a simple undelete. The OS doesn't find a formatted file system.
First run a smart test on it. See if you have physical failures. Seagate and wd both offer free tools.

If the smart test gives you errors, unfortunately you are likely out of luck. What typically happens is the magnetic coating flies off the surface and so goes your data. Most of the dust gets collected near a trap. But some floats around inside the platters creating more havock. The more you run it the more the drive degrades from debris. So if your data is important, professional disassembly and restoration is your only true option. And that is expensive and not gaurenteed.

Last edited:

lahatte

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
First run a smart test on it. See if you have physical failures. Seagate and wd both offer free tools.

What happened to the laptop drive I think is that it got an impact shock.

The other drive, which was connect to the WD TV Live has just been sitting since I haven't used the WD TV Live lately. that was connected to the WD TV Live, I don't what happened there, other than a possible power surge..

The laptop drive had been available after I noticed that some files weren't working. I did try running TestDisk and Photorec on the laptop drive. I ran chkdsk, no change other than what was written to the screen.

Ok, so the only drive I have tried these on so far is the one in the laptop. PhotoRec can retrieve files, but does not keep the filename. So that won't really help me.

Then I tried the TestDsk. But so far it has not gotten files. I had been running for 2 days and only went to 18%, and without file names the result would be pretty useless to me..

When I looked for a Seagate tool I found something that you have to purchase to get the recoverable files from the drive.