Free Upgrade From Win7 To Win10 Fails Installation

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
So, I'm trying to do the free upgrade from Win7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro via the Media Creation Tool (new version of the tool is 1809, downloaded today). It will go all the way through the process, but at the end when it tells me it will restart, I get hit with "Windows 10 Installation Failed". The Scan and Fix utility option will come up for the D: drive (recovery partition, I do believe) but when I try to run it, it refuses to even try to fix anything. I've also tried various iterations of chkdsk..and that tells me that it finds no errors or bad sectors. (Oxymoron, anyone?)

I'd thought about trying to expand the partition allocation but those options are grayed out...upon searching, the probable reason it's grayed out is because the partition file system is FAT32 which does not support such a function. Finally, upon trying to look at the allocation using Disk Management, there is no drive letter associated with that partition, yet it is visible on File Explorer as "Local Disk D:". Current partition allocation is the default 100MB. Properties shows used space as 20.1 MB, while free space shows 75.8 MB.

I would really like to not have to do a clean install of 7 simply to upgrade to 10, or (cheap me, but MS still offers the free upgrade...) buy 10 outright. I'd also obviously like for all my current programs to remain and not have to reinstall every last one of them.

Might anyone have a fix in mind or other suggestion that might work to resolve this issue? Or am I stuck doing an eventual clean install? Thank you in advance.

Pertinent system specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on a 240GB SSD (SanDisk Plus) (12GB Free Space)
Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
AMD FX 8350
32GB DDR3 HyperX RAM
PowerColor Red Devil GS RX 580 8GB

richpixel

Prominent
Jan 3, 2019
Disable your Antivirus utility, non-essential services, and startup programs, a typical blocker for Windows setup is security utilities. Disable them; these include Antivirus, AntiSpyware, and Firewall utilities. In most cases, it is strongly recommended you uninstall these security utilities and install versions compatible with Windows 10, run msconfig, on services tab check hide all microsoft services, then uncheck the rest, then go to startup tab and disable all, then try upgrade again.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Ok...maybe the up to date parts are the real problem. I've done the other things (msconfig, antivirus disable, etc) but the security updates haven't wanted to install since January of last year. Part of the reason I'd wanted to upgrade.

So likely that's the issue. And I'll likely have to do a clean Win7 install. Sucks, but if it has to be, is has to be. I'll be swapping out the main hard drive for a 500GB 3D NAND in place of the 256GB current one when I do that.

So when I go about doing that fresh one, is it recommended that I disconnect all drives prior to that fresh install and then hook them up after the new install is up and running? If so, should I do only one at a time or are all of the internal ones ok to do at the same time? (Only one of those drives is external).

Thanks much all!

USAFRet

Titan

Disconnect ALL drives except the one you want the SSD on.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015

Gotcha. Just wanted to be absolutely certain I was understanding correctly.

Thanks much!

TRENDING THREADS