Free Version of Windows for Selling PC's???

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I have some old PC's I want to sell but I can't be giving away my windows 7 licenses just for a little cash... Definitely don't want to pirate windows... Is there some kind of free version of windows that I can put on the machines? They are worth significantly more if they are ready to use.

No Windows is free (even 1.0, which was released 30 years ago). Microsoft sells special "refurbish" licenses, but they are not available for ordinary folks.

Your only option is to put some Lunux on them (Mint is quite popular for novices).

I sell old PC's sometimes and no one has ever had a problem with putting Ubuntu/Mint on them. I always be sure to tell them they can separately purchase windows if they later choose.

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Nope, there's no free Windows, though there're demos which may be used for a timed period (e.g., 90 days). Unfortunately, your best option is to install some flavor of Linux -- typically a Debian-based distribution --, like, Ubuntu or Mint.

BrandX

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I can see two legitimate options:

1. Sell the old PC's as-is; chances are the buyers will install Linux or a pirate copy of Windows. Just leave that end of things up to them.

2. Offer to install a genuine copy of Windows 7 for an additional cost. You can buy secondhand Windows 7 disks for under £30/$45. Genuine license, just an old disk (or sometimes a new disk that never got installed). I've just bought Windows 7 Professional 64-bit for £24 on Amazon.