Free windows 10 upgrade retention after motherboard/CPU change

pouryourmilk

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Hi all,

So I plan on upgrading to an i7-6700k once kaby lake comes out in the next few months (currently I am using an i5-4590) and I have a question regarding my free windows 10 license.

I used this software 'ProduKey' in order to obtain my windows 10 product key, and I'm wondering if I will be able to use this key with the new machine I plan on building or if this key is linked to my current motherboard/CPU setup (that is, if the product key is the way that microsoft automatically activates the software using my 'digital signature' anyway). I know that I could link my microsoft account to my windows license and activate it on the new machine that way, however I really do not want to log on to my computer using my microsoft account (I much prefer using a local account).

Also, I know the free upgrade period has ended but I remember reading somewhere that microsoft is still giving out upgrades to windows 10, and I have a retail copy of windows 8.1 that I could use to upgrade if that is an option.

If anybody has any experience in this matter I would greatly appreciate any advice you have. I'd really rather not purchase a retail copy of windows 10 on top of the motherboard/cpu/ram.

Thanks!

Solution

You only need the MS account when you do the activation with the new hardware. You don't have to log in with it all the time.

pouryourmilk

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

My question was whether there was a way to retain the free upgrade without linking my microsoft account, as I don't want to use my MS account to log into my computer. Thank you though, looks like its the only way.

USAFRet

Titan

You only need the MS account when you do the activation with the new hardware. You don't have to log in with it all the time.

Solution

pouryourmilk

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Okay, thank you so much. Figured it was another MS ploy to get more people on their network.

USAFRet

Titan

My digital license is linked to a MS account. Currently (and always), I am using a local account.
There are 3 accounts on this PC
1 local standard user - this is everyday use
1 local admin
1 Microsoft

I only use the MS acct on those rare moments when it begs me to. As in, I can't remember the last time I logged in with it prior to about 10 minutes ago, just to check the license status.

TRENDING THREADS