'Free' Windows 7 Upgrades Still Cost Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]the hedgehog[/nom]I would gladly pay 20$ shipping fee instead of pay 200$.[/citation]
It sucks that the "free" upgrade isn't free for some but it's Windows 7, I'd pay the $11 or whatever to get away from Vista.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I don't like the idea of being charged a handling fee but two things:
- it sure beats paying full price for the upgrade.
- given the economy and slow PC sales, I can understand taht the makers are trying to look for ways to cut costs.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]the hedgehog[/nom]I would gladly pay 20$ shipping fee instead of pay 200$.[/citation]

I'm sure you would be equally as happy to pay $20 when you were promised a FREE upgrade when you purchased the machine. Right?

Free != $20.

ubertiger

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Your missing the point, it's advertised as a 'Free Upgrade' when your purchase the PC, the manufacturer shouldn't then be able to charge you an extra $20 to get your 'Free' upgrade. It's false advertising and it's wrong.
If the manufacturer wanted to use the 'Free Upgrade' as a selling point on it's product it should eat the cost and make it a free upgrade instead of lying.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ubertiger[/nom]...it's advertised as a 'Free Upgrade' when your purchase the PC...[/citation]The company listed only needs to put a small subscript next the the phrase. The subscript reading "not including shipping and handling." I'd bet you 10 thumbs up votes such language is used by the people who will charge shipping and handling.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
The FREE upgrade is still applicable, dont understand why this is being titled as it is. For eg, you go to a shop, buy a crisp packet and told you will get a bigger pack for free, would you expect them to deliver it to your door for free? No, I didnt think so,

Tbh, MS has done alotta crap in the past and still do with most or their products and services, hey they will in the future too, but compared to any other major players, who is there? Apple? The worst of the bunch has to be Apple, so tbh Toms, you should be giving credit where/when due.

Anyhow, the "upgrade is still free", if you want it delivered, you are actually just paying the P&P charges, in 90% of the cases I bet its MS are not even charging packaging, its just the postage cost, dictated by whomever will they have as their supplier, UPS? who cares

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Just to clarify what I meant by saying the "upgrade is still free", the upgrade from Vista to Win 7 is aimed to be over the network/internet. MS did not specify that you will get a free CD/DVD as part of the upgrade, so why should you get extra Freebe's?

G

Shipping does not add towards Windows 7. Shipping is entirely different product from Windows 7, even by accounting standards. So the upgrade is still free. It is not false advertising.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
But it was a tool to get you to buy the product before it is ready. It was sold so you could buy now and get 7 free when it's available. Not to help you, but to convince you to buy it now.

Otherwise people would have waited for 7 to release and buy it for "free" in the shop. The prices won't go up now that you buy a pc with 7 already on it, actually, if you bought it earlier it's 20 dollar more expansive.

Sure, 20 dollar is nothing compared to having to buy it and some people really couldn't wait to buy a new computer, for them the 20 dollar wouldn't be a problem. But I agree with that it was advertised a bit misleading.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You can mail a DVD for less than a dollar. This is not costing the manufacturers- they advertised free upgrades so they could sell computers and make money, the cost of mailing out the DVD's is part of the cost of them doing business in order to increase their sales.

If the manufacturers want to save money then they could offer the download for free and the consumer can burn their own DVD.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Paying anywhere from $11-17 is not really that big of a deal for shipping and handling. This really wasn't really worthy of an article. You are basically paying up to $17 for Win7 which is still agreat deal given I got it for the pre-order price of $99 which was a great deal also but $17 is much better.

G

LOL, for all of you who don't mind paying the hidden fee, the machine you bought will undoutedly be sold with Win 7 without the fee after the 22nd.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
what people don't understand is that it's not the matter of price but the matter of principle. If I promise someone something for free, I wouldn't go and ask for 10 dollars when the time comes. How the world has changed...

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
what the hell?? isn't this why God gave us the internet? they've been distributing the beta disk images over the net for free for ages, can't they do the same for this?

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
The download is STILL FREE, u have an option to either use the vista setup to upgrade during setup, which will mean a temp file is created, or download an iso image, use any free iso image creaters, to either create a virtual drive or burn to dvd. Wtf, som ppl cry no matter what freebe's their given! Let me know a company gives its retail selling product for free plus all the extras like delivery. You cant buy a $1 item from ebay without paying p&p.

I get the principle behind it, as free should mean free. But then again, it sure beats having to pay $200. I got the student discount deal and chose to order the disk for $13, again a heck of a lot better than $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.