Freecell xp to windows 8

john coulter

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

Thank you. you have indeed sorted it . Microsoft solitaire collection does give me what I wanted

randynewton

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
the link posted above is no longer working and we are having the same problem, would like to play free cell on the windows 8 just we did on the old version. please help! thanks in advance!

taekwondogreg

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I have put this together from two sources and it has allowed me to both put Freecell XP and my statistics onto my Win8 laptop:

If you have the old XP machine accessible, the problem is easily solved by the following:

XP machine –

1) Create a folder called "XP_Games" on your desktop. Actually any name will do so long as it does not conflict with other Windows sub-directories

2) Open Windows explorer and navigate to C:\WINDOWS directory. Select Search and type 'Freecell' in the filename box and press Search. The files should show up very quickly.

3) Select all the files and copy&paste them into the desktop folder you just created.

4) Use the same procedure 2&3 above for the file 'cards.dll'.

To get your Freecell statistics:

5) Use Start - run and type in 'regedit'. Browse to: HKEY_CU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\FreeCell

6) Click File - Export to the desktop folder.

7) Now save the folder to a pen-drive or similar

Win 8 machine –

1) Plug the pen-drive in and copy the folder into C: [where-ever you want] on your new machine.

Note - the cards.dll file MUST STAY in the new folder (where freecell.exe resides). This method merely exploits the long-standing concept of link-files and accessories always being searched for in the immediate environment of the executable itself. So the Win8 version (if enabled) is still operational in same way (if you feel the need to play it!) and no ambiguity or interference results.

2) In Win8 file explorer, type regedit in the search box, run the .exe file and use File - Import to import your statistics.

3) If you then right-click on the freecell.exe file and select 'Send to' --> Desktop you will end up with a shortcut on your desktop that works in the normal way - with the old program behaviour and appearance. Then, when you run freecell and press F4, your stats should be there.

bent nickel

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

here you go, john... i haven't worked in the computer industry for over a decade, but i'm 99.9% sure this will work...

find a copy of windows xp. download the executable files from system 32 (i think it might be freecell.exe, but i don.t have a xp in front of me... it might be cards.exe... you might need both of them... like i said, it's been a decade...lol... just copy both of them, to be sure). put them onto a flash drive. put the flash drive into your windows 8 computer. create a folder on your windows 8 computer, and paste the files from your flash drive into your new folder. clicking on freecell.exe should start your game, just like on windows xp.

-marc "bent nickel" robinson

oops... i guess i should have looked at your earlier replies... it's cards.dll, not cards.exe... it looks like you have had a more accurate reply, covering basically the same solution. good luck, and have fun!!

forbeswallace

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

I have the Windows 8 on my machine. I took the freecell.exe. and cards .dll from the XP installation disc and copied the files to my desktop. Still can't get free cell to run. What should I do?

Ivan Rayol

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014

For Windows 7 and Windows 8
1 - Make a folder named Freecell
2 - In instalation xp disc (i386) copie to Frecell folder: Expand.exe, Cards.dl_, Freecell.Ex_, Freecell.ch_ and Freecell.hl_
3 - Comand in a dos window Expand Cards.dl_ Cards.dll and other files
4 - Create a shortcut for Freecell.exe

or download: http://ferramentas.yolasite.com/resources/Freecell.rar

mmczip

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

I just copied the Freecell & Hearts games from my Dell XP to my Asus Windows 8. They seem to work fine, although the game window is smaller. You've probably already accomplished the task, but I'll do directions for others.

Make XP Games folder on XP Desktop.
Go to My Computer, OS C, Windows, System32,
Find cards.dll. Right click/copy, then right click/paste into desktop folder
Find FreeCell application. Right click/copy, then right click/paste into desktop folder
If you want MSHearts, find the application. Right click/copy, then right click/paste into desktop folder
Copy Desktop folder to a thumb drive.
Insert Thumbdrive into Windows 8 computer and paste folder to Desktop.

I didn't install anything. It works right from the desktop folder, or you can put the folder into a drive folder. You can also pin it to the Start Menu. If you have a touchscreen, you can use it for the game.