Freedom Of Speech And STEAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

It has gotten into me lately that STEAM is a very sensitive subject that
could deprive one's freedom of speech.
STEAM has antagonised people in a way that they either defend it to
death or to destroy its existence by any means in or out of the limit
of freedom of speech allowed.
What is the best way to debunk or criticise STEAM rationally, reasonably
without fear being attacked and reported?
To mention STEAM's faults, error, shortcoming purely and exclusively in
its technical point of views?
To mention the philosophical principle of the restriction STEAM imposed
on users in the future?
To mention psychological and mental anguish impacted on individual
experience with STEAM?
To mention about the controversial legality of STEAM under various
country laws?
To caricature STEAM?
I would like to have helpful and friendly advices from STEAM supporters
about how to hold a constructive critics of STEAM without fear being
persecuted, ostracised and reported by ardent and vigilantist STEAM
supporters (which is the majority) of this newsgroup?

shawk

Daniel wrote:
> It has gotten into me lately that STEAM is a very sensitive subject that
> could deprive one's freedom of speech.
> STEAM has antagonised people in a way that they either defend it to
> death or to destroy its existence by any means in or out of the limit
> of freedom of speech allowed.
> What is the best way to debunk or criticise STEAM rationally, reasonably
> without fear being attacked and reported?
> To mention STEAM's faults, error, shortcoming purely and exclusively in
> its technical point of views?
> To mention the philosophical principle of the restriction STEAM imposed
> on users in the future?
> To mention psychological and mental anguish impacted on individual
> experience with STEAM?
> To mention about the controversial legality of STEAM under various
> country laws?
> To caricature STEAM?
> I would like to have helpful and friendly advices from STEAM supporters
> about how to hold a constructive critics of STEAM without fear being
> persecuted, ostracised and reported by ardent and vigilantist STEAM
> supporters (which is the majority) of this newsgroup?

Dont you think everything has been said already?

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

Bertrand Russell

On 2/7/2005 12:24 PM Daniel brightened our day with:

>I would like to have helpful and friendly advices from STEAM supporters
>about how to hold a constructive critics of STEAM without fear being
>persecuted, ostracised and reported by ardent and vigilantist STEAM
>supporters (which is the majority) of this newsgroup?

Maybe you can get some tips from the Moon landing hoax people on how to
deal with it in sci.astro.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Daniel wrote:
> It has gotten into me lately that STEAM is a very sensitive subject that
> could deprive one's freedom of speech.
> STEAM has antagonised people in a way that they either defend it to
> death or to destroy its existence by any means in or out of the limit
> of freedom of speech allowed.
> What is the best way to debunk or criticise STEAM rationally, reasonably
> without fear being attacked and reported?
> To mention STEAM's faults, error, shortcoming purely and exclusively in
> its technical point of views?
> To mention the philosophical principle of the restriction STEAM imposed
> on users in the future?
> To mention psychological and mental anguish impacted on individual
> experience with STEAM?
> To mention about the controversial legality of STEAM under various
> country laws?
> To caricature STEAM?
> I would like to have helpful and friendly advices from STEAM supporters
> about how to hold a constructive critics of STEAM without fear being
> persecuted, ostracised and reported by ardent and vigilantist STEAM
> supporters (which is the majority) of this newsgroup?

Apart from the Steam debate being done to death, I don't see what the
big deal is. If you want to debate it again, just be polite. Above all,
don't lose your cool and post Nazi symbolism if people aren't listening
to you.

My opinion on Steam is this: game companies know about how easy it is to
pirate PC games, so it's not that popular a platform to code for in that
regard. If Steam can help to reduce piracy, this might make things more
attractive for the PC gaming industry and help to revitalise it.

Everyone here has absolute freedom of speech... Some people think that
freedom of speech means that others have to LISTEN to their drivel...

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 07:24:40 +1100, Daniel <daniel@dontbother.com>
wrote:

>It has gotten into me lately that STEAM is a very sensitive subject that
>could deprive one's freedom of speech.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Daniel wrote:
> It has gotten into me lately that STEAM is a very
> sensitive subject that could deprive one's freedom of
> speech.

Yes, it is so sensitive them so many people need to waste theyr
time boring ppl with it, so they start calling names and then it
is a question of "freedom of speech". Next step is "national
security".
When will the Marines come in?
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

"Vilco" <a@b.c> schrieb:

[..]
> Yes, it is so sensitive them so many people need to waste theyr
> time boring ppl with it, so they start calling names and then it
> is a question of "freedom of speech". Next step is "national
> security".
> When will the Marines come in?

Wrong game. You're referring to "America's Army". And it's the Army, not
the Marines who gets ya. :)

Daniel wrote:

> It has gotten into me lately that STEAM is a very sensitive subject
> that could deprive one's freedom of speech.
> STEAM has antagonised people in a way that they either defend it to
> death or to destroy its existence by any means in or out of the limit
> of freedom of speech allowed.

No, those are just the ones that feel passionately about it (or have too
much tim eon their hands). The majority of us just get by as we can, and I
suspect that the majority of us can see both good and bad in the idea behind
Steam, we just can't be bothered to get into heated deebates about it.

I think you'll find that this is a phenomenon common in life, and not just
Usenet.

--
_______________________

/mel/

Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Martin
Seibert mi desto'

> Wrong game. You're referring to "America's Army". And it's the Army,
> not the Marines who gets ya. :)

Ayes, or it could be GTA3SA and they would be the cops :)
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

I started thinking something odd was going on in
alt.games.half-life when one foggy november evening Cannon Fodder
<gonfishn@airmail.net> came into my office and told me:

> Everyone here has absolute freedom of speech... Some people
> think that freedom of speech means that others have to LISTEN to
> their drivel...

Yes, thank God for the freedom of ignoring :)

--
Iphigenie, http://iphi.net
email:iphi.at.imagis.ch icq:55502215 aol:superiphi steam:superiphi

Iphi's game news: http://www.iphi.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?mode=games
Iphi's UK bargain watch: http://www.iphi.net/more.php?id=102_0_1_0_M

I started thinking something odd was going on in
alt.games.half-life when one foggy november evening "Steve Mellor"
<noos@mel.nospam.cix.co.uk> came into my office and told me:

> The majority of us just get by as we can, and I
> suspect that the majority of us can see both good and bad in the
> idea behind Steam, we just can't be bothered to get into heated
> deebates about it.

I don't know... when I had two wait more than 2 days to be able to
play a game i had *bought* in a store because steam couldnt cope, I
came pretty close to go into a heated debate...

If systems like steam become standard, what happens to a game after
the publisher stops caring, or the developer gets closed? Will
someone nicely continue to pay for the servers or will the game stop
being playable? Will publishers and developers have to put insurance
in place that the servers will remain available for authentication
for a minimum of x years as part of a game's sale - a bit like fine
china?

--
Iphigenie, http://iphi.net
email:iphi.at.imagis.ch icq:55502215 aol:superiphi steam:superiphi
In games: iphigenie[AGHL] superiphi[AGHL] Zen Zenaide
Games of the moment: Spellforce, Sacred, HL2
Most wanted games: Call of Cthulhu, SWAT4

Iphi's game news: http://www.iphi.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?mode=games
Iphi's UK bargain watch: http://www.iphi.net/more.php?id=102_0_1_0_M

I started thinking something odd was going on in alt.games.half-life
when one foggy november evening Iphigenie <iphi@imagis.ch> came into
my office and told me:

> I started thinking something odd was going on in
> alt.games.half-life when one foggy november evening Cannon Fodder
><gonfishn@airmail.net> came into my office and told me:
>
>> Everyone here has absolute freedom of speech... Some people
>> think that freedom of speech means that others have to LISTEN to
>> their drivel...
>
> Yes, thank God for the freedom of ignoring :)

Not that often that I agree with CF on something even slightly
political. Calls for a drink!

--
Iphigenie, http://iphi.net
email:iphi.at.imagis.ch icq:55502215 aol:superiphi steam:superiphi
In games: iphigenie[AGHL] superiphi[AGHL] Zen Zenaide
Games of the moment: Spellforce, Sacred, HL2
Most wanted games: Call of Cthulhu, SWAT4

Iphi's game news: http://www.iphi.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?mode=games
Iphi's UK bargain watch: http://www.iphi.net/more.php?id=102_0_1_0_M

Scratches old bald, scarred head??? Can't think of a thing that
doesn't call for a drink... Who's buying???

Iphigenie wrote:
> If systems like steam become standard, what happens to a game after
> the publisher stops caring, or the developer gets closed? Will
> someone nicely continue to pay for the servers or will the game stop
> being playable? Will publishers and developers have to put insurance
> in place that the servers will remain available for authentication
> for a minimum of x years as part of a game's sale - a bit like fine
> china?

Ahh hell.

Do you really think the Half-Life COMMUNITY is not full of tallented
programmers/hackers who can easily whip up an offline replacement? They
already have, remember. We're quite a smart bunch sometimes (difool
excluded.)

GFree wrote:
> Iphigenie wrote:
>
>> If systems like steam become standard, what happens to a game after
>> the publisher stops caring, or the developer gets closed? Will someone
>> nicely continue to pay for the servers or will the game stop being
>> playable? Will publishers and developers have to put insurance in
>> place that the servers will remain available for authentication for a
>> minimum of x years as part of a game's sale - a bit like fine china?
>>

> Ahh hell.
>
> Do you really think the Half-Life COMMUNITY is not full of tallented
> programmers/hackers who can easily whip up an offline replacement? They
> already have, remember. We're quite a smart bunch sometimes (difool
> excluded.)

Actually, when I say "offline" I mean a Steam replacement. It'd be nice
to be able to play multiplayer on the Net without Steam.

Iphigenie wrote:

> I don't know... when I had two wait more than 2 days to be able to
> play a game i had *bought* in a store because steam couldnt cope, I
> came pretty close to go into a heated debate...

Oh dear... we all remember the aftermath last time *that* happened ;)

> If systems like steam become standard, what happens to a game after
> the publisher stops caring, or the developer gets closed? Will
> someone nicely continue to pay for the servers or will the game stop
> being playable? Will publishers and developers have to put insurance
> in place that the servers will remain available for authentication
> for a minimum of x years as part of a game's sale - a bit like fine
> china?

EA already do this for some of their multiplayer games - The game is
guaranteed to work online up to a certain date, after which it may or
may not still be available. (C&C Generals and BF1942 for example)

However, the SP games are unaffected.. but if you only bought the game
for multiplayer, it'd be a bit of a bummer.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

All these modern celebrities are endorsing supermarket products now...
I got a pack of sausages from Tesco the other day and there was this
picture of Anthony Worral Thompson on the front. Below, it read 'prick
with a fork'.

Ya means ya luvs me too??? I be touched and a bit nervous... Checks my
clothing, especially my socks.... :) Yer a righteous dude yerself....
Still hugs me trusty Browning A-5 12 gauge closely and peers out the
window to the east.... Crouching, ready to make a break for the
Outlands...

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:27:49 GMT, Strider
<email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:

>Iphigenie proclaimed...
>
>> I don't know... when I had two wait more than 2 days to be able to
>> play a game i had *bought* in a store because steam couldnt cope, I
>> came pretty close to go into a heated debate...
>
>I glad you didn't and don't. You, along with CF are one of the main
>reasons I stuck around in AGHL. I'm grateful for things like this and
>I've not forgotten.
>
>/hugs both.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

strider

Cannon Fodder proclaimed...

> Ya means ya luvs me too??? I be touched and a bit nervous... Checks my
> clothing, especially my socks.... :) Yer a righteous dude yerself....
> Still hugs me trusty Browning A-5 12 gauge closely and peers out the
> window to the east.... Crouching, ready to make a break for the
> Outlands...

Too old for me. Not to mention the male thing :)

Love to have a go of that A-5 sometime.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

"I read about them in Time magazine"

In article <9son01tgk5h3i10on05okr6bcmf26mr47i@4ax.com>, Cannon Fodder
<gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Scratches old bald, scarred head??? Can't think of a thing that
> doesn't call for a drink... Who's buying???
>
> On 10 Feb 2005 22:34:13 GMT, Ipsilateral <iphi@imagis.ch> wrote:
>
> >Not that often that I agree with CF on something even slightly
> >political. Calls for a drink!

Hell, if it's a chance to get Jack *and* Iphi together for a beer, just
make it my round! Pints of Brains SA, Felinfoel Double Dragon or Wye
Valley Brewery's Butty Bach, as you choose.

:D

___
Neil
AKA HighVis

Ben Cottrell wrote:

>> If systems like steam become standard, what happens to a game after
>> the publisher stops caring, or the developer gets closed? Will
>> someone nicely continue to pay for the servers or will the game stop
>> being playable? Will publishers and developers have to put insurance
>> in place that the servers will remain available for authentication
>> for a minimum of x years as part of a game's sale - a bit like fine
>> china?
>
> EA already do this for some of their multiplayer games - The game is
> guaranteed to work online up to a certain date, after which it may or
> may not still be available. (C&C Generals and BF1942 for example)
>
> However, the SP games are unaffected.. but if you only bought the
> game for multiplayer, it'd be a bit of a bummer.

How many of us are still playing 10 year-old games? What about 20 year-old
games?

--

/mel/

np: silence

"/mel/" <news@mel.cix.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ben Cottrell wrote:
>
>>> If systems like steam become standard, what happens to a game after
>>> the publisher stops caring, or the developer gets closed? Will
>>> someone nicely continue to pay for the servers or will the game stop
>>> being playable? Will publishers and developers have to put insurance
>>> in place that the servers will remain available for authentication
>>> for a minimum of x years as part of a game's sale - a bit like fine
>>> china?
>>
>> EA already do this for some of their multiplayer games - The game is
>> guaranteed to work online up to a certain date, after which it may or
>> may not still be available. (C&C Generals and BF1942 for example)
>>
>> However, the SP games are unaffected.. but if you only bought the
>> game for multiplayer, it'd be a bit of a bummer.
>
> How many of us are still playing 10 year-old games? What about 20 year-old
> games?

I've still got System Shock which is around 10 years old now that I wouldn't
give up. A couple of others from that era too.

I don't revisit *most* games beyond the first year but the point is, I want
that choice made by *me*, not by the developer.

/mel/ wrote:
> Ben Cottrell wrote:
>

>>>If systems like steam become standard, what happens to a game after
>>>the publisher stops caring, or the developer gets closed? Will
>>>someone nicely continue to pay for the servers or will the game stop
>>>being playable? Will publishers and developers have to put insurance
>>>in place that the servers will remain available for authentication
>>>for a minimum of x years as part of a game's sale - a bit like fine
>>>china?
>>
>>EA already do this for some of their multiplayer games - The game is
>>guaranteed to work online up to a certain date, after which it may or
>>may not still be available. (C&C Generals and BF1942 for example)
>>
>>However, the SP games are unaffected.. but if you only bought the
>>game for multiplayer, it'd be a bit of a bummer.
>

> How many of us are still playing 10 year-old games? What about 20 year-old
> games?

Well, actually, I still have some pretty old games on my PC which i
occasionally play :) C&C95 is installed, as is Quake1 (not sure why..
I never liked it in the 1st place) and Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon
(which is still a great game that can become dangerously addictive for
short periods of time when i'm not careful)

--

SpammersDie wrote:

>>> EA already do this for some of their multiplayer games - The game is
>>> guaranteed to work online up to a certain date, after which it may
>>> or may not still be available. (C&C Generals and BF1942 for example)
>>>
>>> However, the SP games are unaffected.. but if you only bought the
>>> game for multiplayer, it'd be a bit of a bummer.
>>
>> How many of us are still playing 10 year-old games? What about 20
>> year-old games?
>
> I've still got System Shock which is around 10 years old now that I
> wouldn't give up. A couple of others from that era too.
>
> I don't revisit *most* games beyond the first year but the point is,
> I want that choice made by *me*, not by the developer.

Good point. Perhaps a solution would be for the game authors to eventually
release a update - one that removes all restrictions. After all there must
eventually come a point where they are no longer earning any real revenue
from a game. Somehow I'm not convinced that any such thing would actually
happen though.

--

/mel/

squee15

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I have used steam for about a year now for taking a look at Demos, and trailers before buying them in stores. Since we all know the rules of returning a game after opening lol. ANyways have been happy with them till today. I bought my first game from them and within 4 minutes it crashed due to a direct x problem. Okay click up dxdiag of course everything is fine. This crash happens every few minutes of play. So i contact support. WOW. I will still use them for Demos / Trailers, but i am totally turned off by the customer service being so slow. 22 hours and no response at all.
Anyways i wish it would have worked out, it looks like an awesome way to game but being my first purchase its kinda GAH :(

And before you flame saying " this noob probly has an old crap system that cant play what he bought.....muhahahaha what a noob"

The game is older:
Kings Bounty

The System way over qaulified to play:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name EXAVIOR-PC
System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model MS-7514
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 2336 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.4, 8/11/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Exavior-PC\Exavior
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.06 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.94 GB
Page File Space 3.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

i have of course tried Resolution settings, forcing to play 256 color or whatever etc

now if anyone can do Steams job and tell me what the prob is :D

Maybe i will buy from them again...till i can use my game though lol..

thanks in advance and thanks for reading, or Rage quitting if you did so!

5700necropost4kobf7.png