FreedomPop Now Expanding into Free Home Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
That's odd there is a specific carve out for iTunes/Apple in the TOS but no other company is specifically mentioned. Is this being funded in a round about way by Apple to get more people caught in their honeypot?

"FreedomPop Software Obtained From iTunes"

edgewood112358

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
It sounds like a cool idea, but for my family 1GB isn't going to cut it. Last month we went through 147GB of data (Mostly steam games though...I miss disk installs, having to wait 3 days to play a new game is a major drag).

G

Jesus this is great deal, $89 one time fee gets you a backup internet connection for life. You could just run VOIP services on it and it would pay for itself in 4 months of telephone fees. $10 for 10 gigs, that is also an incredible deal.

biggiebody

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Well this is a cheap alternative for people who don't download and just email or surf the net. But this is much more expensive (at least for me) if people are going to download. I pay comcast $50 for internet and I get 250gb (which as of right now there is no cap).

zedon

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Agree with other posters that this is good for people who do email and casual web suring but never download or stream anything. I use 25-150 gb a month, so this would be a very expensive way to go. I gladly pay $48 for my internet which I am very surprisingly happy with. It's only been down for 2 hours minutes in the 10 months I've had it.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Folks, this isn't for the modern generation who streams video and games online. This is for your grandmother who only want's to check her email or read some news. Think of it as the NEW DialUp. Remember that? Does anyone even offer that anymore? At any rate, I think it is a cost effective backup or seldomly used internet connection.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
[citation][nom]toalan[/nom]Jesus this is great deal, $89 one time fee gets you a backup internet connection for life. You could just run VOIP services on it and it would pay for itself in 4 months of telephone fees. $10 for 10 gigs, that is also an incredible deal.[/citation]
Thats a good idea. Used strictly for VOIP and smart phone data access this could be a pretty incredible tool. Service reliability becomes the only possibly hangup at that point.

yazth1

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I've used the freedompop mobile unit at my place and it works great, so I just pre-ordered the home modem/router. Our average usage is about 8GB/mo, and I'm currently paying Comcast $62.95/mo (Seattle). I can't wait to get the freedompop router and give Comcast the boot.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Would kinda be cool for something / someone that needs internet but doesn't need much data (e.g. parents, grandparents, etc) or as a backup internet connection. I routinely VPN in from home and maintain servers from home, and when my internet acts stupid, this would solve a headache that I occasionally get. I know I can always tether my phone, but I could also buy this, put it on my router's second WAN port, and set it as a failover when the first connection can't talk.

Jhern25

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
******ATTENTION****** PLEASE READ. To whomever is considering buying this product, beware! This is a scam!

I am a young single mother living on a budget. In this day in time having internet is a must so I came across Freedom Pop and thought that they might be an affordable alternative to getting internet in my home. I order the Casual 2GB package @ $17.00 a month. Upon arrival I was very excited to use my device, hooked it up, watched a movie the device worked perfect then went to bed. The next day I went onto the website to see how much data I had used and to my surprise I had used the entire data plan! I thought that was a little strange but I went ahead and upgraded to biggest plan they offer 10GB. The next time the device was used my nephew came over and played his playstation online. The next day I started getting email after email "Freedom Pop has added $10 to your account" over and over again. I thought that was strange since I had already upgraded to the biggest package. When I looked at my bank statement Freedom Pop had charged me $131.59 in overage fee's over a 6 day period, $70 in one day! And continued charging my account until I had insufficient funds. So let me reiterate people... I paid $100 for the actual device, $60 for the biggest plan, and now on top of that $130... FOR USING THE DEVICE 2 TIMES! I called the company and asked what the reasoning was for all these charges. They said that much data had been used because I "had a good connection". The best they could do was refund me $40. Needless to say I will never recommend this product to anyone. You've been warned!

Status
Not open for further replies.