Question FreeNAS very slow file transfer

Apr 5, 2020
I came across my old desktop and figured I would set up a home server as an experiment. So I set it up with FreeNAS but my upload and download speeds seemed to be capped at around 11.2 MB/s, all though, as I know my motherboard nic support gigabit speed. I have the "server" plugged into my router with an ethernet cord, about 1-meter length (I tried two different ethernet cords). I have tried connecting to the server with all home computers (over WiFi and ethernet but the transfer rate doesn't change). My NAS specs are as follows:

-Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3240 @ 3.10GHz
  • motherboard Gigabyte B85-hd3
  • 8 GB RAM ddr3
  • 120 GB SSD boot drive
  • 4 TB wd red mass storage
-Router Linksys WRT 32x

What is causing my transfer rate to be so low?

kanewolf

Titan
I came across my old desktop and figured I would set up a home server as an experiment. So I set it up with FreeNAS but my upload and download speeds seemed to be capped at around 11.2 MB/s, all though, as I know my motherboard nic support gigabit speed. I have the "server" plugged into my router with an ethernet cord, about 1-meter length (I tried two different ethernet cords). I have tried connecting to the server with all home computers (over WiFi and ethernet but the transfer rate doesn't change). My NAS specs are as follows:

-Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3240 @ 3.10GHz
  • motherboard Gigabyte B85-hd3
  • 8 GB RAM ddr3
  • 120 GB SSD boot drive
  • 4 TB wd red mass storage
-Router Linksys WRT 32x

What is causing my transfer rate to be so low?
11MB/s is usually an indication of 100Mbit ethernet. That motherboard should have gigabit networking, Your router has the "killer" prioritization. Maybe that is messing with your transfer speeds.

Reactions: SamirD
Apr 5, 2020
11MB/s is usually an indication of 100Mbit ethernet. That motherboard should have gigabit networking, Your router has the "killer" prioritization. Maybe that is messing with your transfer speeds.
Sorry for my non-activity. I don't like my router software, so I flash it to dd-wrt software soon as I get it. And as I know, I disabled all prioritization settings on it. My friend advised me to change my cat5e cable to cat 6, you think that could work?

And after a long time of not working on my server, today I had a little bit of breakdown, because of 20GB transferring for too long. So any more ideas, because I desperately want to find a solution to slow speed problems.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS