[SOLVED] FreeNAS very slow file transfer

Apr 5, 2020
I came across my old desktop and figured I would set up a home server as an experiment. So I set it up with FreeNAS but my upload and download speeds seemed to be capped at around 11.2 MB/s, all though, as I know my motherboard nic support gigabit speed. I have the "server" plugged into my router with an ethernet cord, about 1-meter length (I tried two different ethernet cords). I have tried connecting to the server with all home computers (over WiFi and ethernet but the transfer rate doesn't change). My NAS specs are as follows:

-Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3240 @ 3.10GHz
  • motherboard Gigabyte B85-hd3
  • 8 GB RAM ddr3
  • 120 GB SSD boot drive
  • 4 TB wd red mass storage

-Router Linksys WRT 32x

What is causing my transfer rate to be so low?

Solution
Check what speed the router is saying your freenas box is connecting at. If it's 100Mbps, you might have a 10/100 switch in your router, not gigabit.

kanewolf

Titan
I came across my old desktop and figured I would set up a home server as an experiment. So I set it up with FreeNAS but my upload and download speeds seemed to be capped at around 11.2 MB/s, all though, as I know my motherboard nic support gigabit speed. I have the "server" plugged into my router with an ethernet cord, about 1-meter length (I tried two different ethernet cords). I have tried connecting to the server with all home computers (over WiFi and ethernet but the transfer rate doesn't change). My NAS specs are as follows:

-Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3240 @ 3.10GHz
  • motherboard Gigabyte B85-hd3
  • 8 GB RAM ddr3
  • 120 GB SSD boot drive
  • 4 TB wd red mass storage
-Router Linksys WRT 32x

What is causing my transfer rate to be so low?
11MB/s is usually an indication of 100Mbit ethernet. That motherboard should have gigabit networking, Your router has the "killer" prioritization. Maybe that is messing with your transfer speeds.

Reactions: SamirD
Apr 5, 2020
11MB/s is usually an indication of 100Mbit ethernet. That motherboard should have gigabit networking, Your router has the "killer" prioritization. Maybe that is messing with your transfer speeds.

Sorry for my non-activity. I don't like my router software, so I flash it to dd-wrt software soon as I get it. And as I know, I disabled all prioritization settings on it. My friend advised me to change my cat5e cable to cat 6, you think that could work?

And after a long time of not working on my server, today I had a little bit of breakdown, because of 20GB transferring for too long. So any more ideas, because I desperately want to find a solution to slow speed problems.