[SOLVED] Freesync and 1660Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxx80

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
Hello
I have GeForce 1660 Ti. I am looking to buy a new monitor 24 inch , full HD.
Will my card work with Freesync monitor and will it work with any freesync monitor or I have to look for something particular?
(I know that G-sync is better, but monitors are more expensive...)

Solution
For the most part, Freesync monitors will "work" with modern Nvidia cards.
Typically, the nomenclature you want to look for specifically is "GSync Compatible"

The only real difference between "Gsync Compatible" vs any Freesync monitor, is that they're validated not to have ghosting, flickering and the like. It was more of an issue at the launch of the driver that enabled compatibility with FreeSync panels, but still a (slight) possibility you may not have the most pleasant experience with any old 'regular' FreeSync monitor.

There is a chart of some GSync compatible monitors here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/
It's not an exhaustive list though, and I don't think it's had too many...

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
It is very likely that your monitor will work with Freesync monitor. Many monitors are officially supported. And monitors officially not supported, mostly still work. But decide a monitor and check in Internet. I do have Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD and I can say that it is working with my GTX 1070.

GSync itself doesn't make a monitor better than FreeSync. The two technologies are functionally the same.

Yes, all GTX10xx and newer will work with FreeSync monitors as long as they have a DisplayPort connection.

I would recommend a monitor that's at least 120Hz.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For the most part, Freesync monitors will "work" with modern Nvidia cards.
Typically, the nomenclature you want to look for specifically is "GSync Compatible"

The only real difference between "Gsync Compatible" vs any Freesync monitor, is that they're validated not to have ghosting, flickering and the like. It was more of an issue at the launch of the driver that enabled compatibility with FreeSync panels, but still a (slight) possibility you may not have the most pleasant experience with any old 'regular' FreeSync monitor.

There is a chart of some GSync compatible monitors here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/
It's not an exhaustive list though, and I don't think it's had too many updates since launch - lots of others are known to work.

I would suggest narrowing in on a monitor you like the look/specs/price of, then either validating that it's on the list - or at least do some research online about other users/reviewers experiences.

For example:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6ktQzy/msi-optix-mag241c-236-1920x1080-144-hz-monitor-optix-mag241c

Doesn't appear on Nvidia's list - but MSI have confirmed it's fine:
https://thepcenthusiast.com/msi-freesync-monitors-compatible-with-g-sync/

Reactions: falcon291
Solution

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
GSync itself doesn't make a monitor better than FreeSync. The two technologies are functionally the same.

Yes, all GTX10xx and newer will work with FreeSync monitors as long as they have a DisplayPort connection.

I would recommend a monitor that's at least 120Hz.

Actually G-Sync has some advantages. Its lag is smaller, and it can work with lower frequencies, but as you wrote the difference is minimal, and does not worth to pay the extra price tag.

Actually G-Sync has some advantages. Its lag is smaller, and it can work with lower frequencies, but as you wrote the difference is minimal, and does not worth to pay the extra price tag.
Hmm. I've always seen that FreeSync has lower input lag (makes sense really). There's also a physical limit to how low you can go on frequency before you start getting flicker. Not sure what/if there's any hard lower limit on FreeSync though.

Status
Not open for further replies.