Freesync/g sync - necessity or luxury ?

worksleepwork

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Screen tearing is a big issue in pc gaming.

Do you guys think it's mandatory to purchase a freesync/ g sync monitor to combat this issue and provide a smooth gameplay experience ?

Solution
IMO, It's a Luxury who's value and quality make it a necessity.

Seriously, why (in 2016) are we paying hundreds/thousands of dollars on PC HW to accept either:

1. Tearing, which is one of the most annoying and disruptive experiences. Funny how PC gamers cite it for superior visuals and smooth gameplay...but then scoff at Free/G-Sync as a silly luxury.

2. V-Sync, which introduces input lag and the more dreaded 60fps>30fps>60fps ping pong match.

Adaptive Sync technologies should be standard, as they solve a fundamental issue for PC gamers. Though I'm a G-Sync user...I'm more and more proud of AMD's open FreeSync standard (and overall support to FOSS).

If you have the ability to get one, go for it friend...you won't regret it.

toddybody

Distinguished
IMO, It's a Luxury who's value and quality make it a necessity.

Seriously, why (in 2016) are we paying hundreds/thousands of dollars on PC HW to accept either:

1. Tearing, which is one of the most annoying and disruptive experiences. Funny how PC gamers cite it for superior visuals and smooth gameplay...but then scoff at Free/G-Sync as a silly luxury.

2. V-Sync, which introduces input lag and the more dreaded 60fps>30fps>60fps ping pong match.

Adaptive Sync technologies should be standard, as they solve a fundamental issue for PC gamers. Though I'm a G-Sync user...I'm more and more proud of AMD's open FreeSync standard (and overall support to FOSS).

If you have the ability to get one, go for it friend...you won't regret it.

Solution

worksleepwork

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

So you'e currently using a G sync monitor? How has the experience been?