Question Freesync/Gsync and video capture/passthrough

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I've been looking into upping the stream/video capture game lately and I'm glad I did some research beforehand. It's a goofy question, so hopefully I can word it clearly and correctly, and why I'm turning here since I'm not quite sure what to search or look into to find the answer.

I'm currently using an RTX 3090 FE with an MSI MAG 32" monitor (Optix MAG322CQRV). I use the Freesync on the monitor by enabling the Gsync function in Nvidia control panel, where you select to "Enable settings for the selected display model". This works perfectly with no issues. However I am using Displayport, and nearly all worthwhile and best rated video capture/passthrough devices use HDMI (2.1 for best results).

The question I have is: Would switching to HDMI and going through a pass through still allow me to use Freesync/Gsync? And could there be a hangup with my particular monitor using HDMI 2.1 for Freesync/Gsync? The AMD FAQ page states "Many FreeSync certified displays have supported variable refresh rate technologies over HDMI since long before HDMI 2.1 was released and HDMI VRR was adopted. Buying a FreeSync certified display that supports FreeSync over HDMI, provides the immediate benefit of variable refresh rate, even if the display does not support HDMI 2.1." but I'm introducing a few new variables so I'm not sure if it applies all the same.

Thanks for any help or guidance