Freesync issues on R9 280X

crazygunmanjoe

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
I own a Club3D R9 280X Royalqueen gpu and I read on AMD's website that this card would support freesync for video playback and such, and I have a SAMSUNG C24F390 monitor hooked up to it (Mini DP to HDMI; Mini DP from R9 to HDMI in monitor) and the monitor has no DP connector but it supposedly supports freesync (over HDMI I suppose) and I can enable freesync on the monitor as "Standard Engine" or "Ultimate Engine".

When I first started up my PC, the option for freesync was grey in the Radeon Settings, but then it changed to "Not Supported". Does it not work from HDMI to Mini DP even though both ends support freesync? Or am I doing something wrong?

My current Radeon Display Settings look like this : http://prntscr.com/gxbf2u

I really want some answers :s

Solution
The R9 280x doesn't support Freesync as it's just a rebadged HD7970, which is based on an older architecture that does not support the technology. You would need an R9 285/290/290x or newer for Freesync support.\

-edit-

Just to clear something up, I know you said that you checked the AMD site concerning GPU compatibility, but the thing that that page fails to specify is that the HD7000/8000 series compatibility for video playback & power savings is almost definitely referring to the mobile/laptop variants of those cards. I say this because of the fact that I'm 95% certain that there's no way to enable just that limited Freesync support on the desktop cards' drivers, but the mobile variants don't have that concern as that support is...

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
The R9 280x doesn't support Freesync as it's just a rebadged HD7970, which is based on an older architecture that does not support the technology. You would need an R9 285/290/290x or newer for Freesync support.\

-edit-

Just to clear something up, I know you said that you checked the AMD site concerning GPU compatibility, but the thing that that page fails to specify is that the HD7000/8000 series compatibility for video playback & power savings is almost definitely referring to the mobile/laptop variants of those cards. I say this because of the fact that I'm 95% certain that there's no way to enable just that limited Freesync support on the desktop cards' drivers, but the mobile variants don't have that concern as that support is baked in as part of their eDP (embedded DisplayPort) connectivity, which has had variable refresh rate functionality for quite a while now due to laptop specific requirements, just not for gaming.

Solution

crazygunmanjoe

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017

Ah well, I guess it was obvious when I couldn't enable it. But thanks for the swift reply!