FreeSync monitor and Nvidia 1080

Joe0504

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
So I built a new PC last year and kept my 2 27" Dell U2711 monitors.. The resolution on them is 2560x1440.
I want to purchase a new larger single curved monitor to replace these.
I looked at the following;
Samsung CHG90 49" - 3840x1080 (FreeSync)
LG 38UC99-W 38" - 3840x1600 (FreeSync)
Dell U3818DW - 3840x1600 - Does not list FreeSync or G-Sync)

Plus I can't find any g-sync it seems over 35"

Now I'm not an avid gamer. I play games rarely.
I have games like Battelfield 1
Wolfenstein II
Ghost Recon Wildlands
But like I said, I probably play them once a month.
I mainly use my PC for work, I'm do software development.

So if I get one of these monitors does the FreeSync really matter?
What about the resolution of the Samsung? Compared to the Dell and LG?
I will have multiple development windows open and reading code. Will I noticed that much of a clarity in fonts?
Because the 49" would be the equivalent of my two monitors I have now.

And when I do play that occasional game, since I have the NVidia 1080 and can't utilize that FreeSync. Will it make that much of a difference?

Do I purchase a RX Vega 64 to replace my 1080?

Thanks
Joe

Solution
Freesync will will just be a vestigial feature on an nVidia card. It won't matter. You will likely see some tearing. Although you can turn on V-Sync. Which is what I usually do. How much of a bother this is depends on the person. I don't really care. If it bothers you enough. You can always replace the GTX 1080 with a Vega 64. I certainly couldn't see bothering with this.

The Samsung would probably be like having two 25" 1920x1080 monitors side by side. It would have a PPI of ~81. The LG and Dell will have finer detail. They will have a PPI of ~109. Fonts will look smaller but more rows will fit on screen.
Freesync will will just be a vestigial feature on an nVidia card. It won't matter. You will likely see some tearing. Although you can turn on V-Sync. Which is what I usually do. How much of a bother this is depends on the person. I don't really care. If it bothers you enough. You can always replace the GTX 1080 with a Vega 64. I certainly couldn't see bothering with this.

The Samsung would probably be like having two 25" 1920x1080 monitors side by side. It would have a PPI of ~81. The LG and Dell will have finer detail. They will have a PPI of ~109. Fonts will look smaller but more rows will fit on screen.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I'm using the Acer XR382CQK monitor, which is very similar to the LG you noted. At one point, I had an R9 285 in it, but since I game, it struggled, performance-wise with the 3840x1600 resolution. Likewise, I'm a software developer, and wanted that 3840 horizontal resolution so I'd have the same kind of horizontal working area that the two monitors at work gave me (each 1920 x 1080). Another strange coincidence, I have the same first name as you.

I definitely appreciate having the extra vertical space given by the 1600 vertical resolution when working from home, though.

At the time, the Samsung 49 wasn't out yet. I had considered waiting for it, though.

I upgraded to the GTX 1080. I just keep things at 60Hz, with vsync on, and has been absolutely fine so far, but when I do game, I'm generally not on the absolute latest and greatest games. I've been very happy with the combo.

Jan 16, 2019

This is incorrect, NVIDIA now supports FreeSync. That said, they are still working on getting it supported properly at this time. (Currently the CHG90 isn't working with FreeSync on NVIDIA cards. But you could get the AMD RADEON VEGA VII (which is equivalent to an NVIDIA 2080). That's what i'm doing.

I'll be upgrading from a 1080 to that as soon as it is available. Should be a decent upgrade and properly support FreeSync.

(I own a CHG90 and i'm quite happy with it)