Question Freesync simply does not work

Luke876

Honorable
Feb 28, 2015
I have a ViewSonic XG2402.

I have updated to the latest driver via Device Manager as the driver given on the website unfortunately will not install; attempting to install the signed driver just gives me a failed installation message, directing me to use 'unsigned' instead. Using the unsigned driver also fails.

https://www.viewsonic.com/uk/products/lcd/XG2402.php

The driver I have installed is the 2016 one, which I assume is the latest one anyway.

I have Freesync enabled on AMD Radeon Settings, enabled on the monitor's OS, set to 144 Hz on Windows Display settings, set to 144 Hz on the monitor's OS...

I run games Exclusive Fullscreen, V-sync toggled either on or off makes no difference. Refresh rate 144 Hz, frame rates bounce between 60 - 144, well within the range showing on AMD Settings of 48 - 144 fps for Freesync to work.

I am using DisplayPort. Monitor's setting by default is 1.2 (though it doesn't show this, but it shows I can turn on DP 1.1, so I assume 1.2 is it's current setting by default).

The AMD Windmill Freesync demo is stuttering more with Freesync enabled than without... games stutter more with it on too.

Any ideas? I've tried absolutely everything here. I don't see how it could be a driver issue either, I reinstalled Windows 10 not too long ago when I switched out my motherboard and upgraded my CPU (i5 8600k) and got a new GPU (Vega 64).

It really is a mystery that nobody seems to be able to solve.