FreeSync vs. G-Sync 2020: Which Variable Refresh Tech Is Best Today?

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
So many words, with no concrete conclusion(or data). Where is a critical opinion in this article...
I'll inject my own as I was so frustrated to read something this meandering(long) and then come to such a bland conclusion. I was really expecting some sort of test rather than a wall of text on features.

Short conclusion:
G-sync guarenteed to get better results for a higher price and only compatible with one flavor of cards(Green team).
Freesync can work just as well, is free, but with no guarentees and not consistently applied so do your homework on the monitor.

From my own use, I have 2 LG4k monitors(LG 27UK600) that are freesync supported, I have G-sync enabled on them(TB3 1050 dock and a 1080 on the desktop), I can not tell a difference, maybe there is a benefit, although not one I can perceive.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
So many words, with no concrete conclusion(or data). Where is a critical opinion in this article...
I'll inject my own as I was so frustrated to read something this meandering(long) and then come to such a bland conclusion. I was really expecting some sort of test rather than a wall of text on features.

Short conclusion:
G-sync guarenteed to get better results for a higher price and only compatible with one flavor of cards(Green team).
Freesync can work just as well, is free, but with no guarentees and not consistently applied so do your homework on the monitor.

From my own use, I have 2 LG4k monitors(LG 27UK600) that are freesync supported, I have G-sync enabled on them(TB3 1050 dock and a 1080 on the desktop), I can not tell a difference, maybe there is a benefit, although not one I can perceive.
And what games at what resolution are you running? Neither GSync or Freesync will make one bit of difference on the desktop. This is an anti tearing technology - which happens at high resolution and high frame rates.

I have had a real G Sync monitor since the original that only worked with the Asus monitor... It has improved greatly and is very noticeable - would not expect anything with a Free Sync monitor that is G Sync "compatible" - just won't be a big deal at all.

I still don't see a single 2560x1440 monitor that's compatible with both FreeSync Premium Pro and G-Sync HDR. When there is, I will buy it.

See:

I don't want 4k, and anything wider than a 27" 16:9 monitor won't fit in my setup.

So this monitor definitely has G-Sync HDR, I am using it but it’s not on that list. I am not sure about version of Freesync as the spec’s don’t confirm this and I not running FreeSync. https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gl83a-b-gaming-monitor

bit_user

Splendid
Ambassador
So this monitor definitely has G-Sync HDR, I am using it but it’s not on that list.
Does it support G-Sync and HDR, simultaneously? I don't know what are Nvidia's criteria for stating a G-Sync monitor supports HDR, but you could look into that, if you're curious.

I am not sure about version of Freesync as the spec’s don’t confirm this and I not running FreeSync. https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gl83a-b-gaming-monitor
I almost bought one, last December. Amazon briefly had quite an amazing deal on them.

According to the link I posted above, it's "FreeSync Premium", whereas "Premium Pro" is their HDR tier. The tiers are defined here:

bit_user

Splendid
Ambassador
BTW, Gigabyte's FI27Q-P is 90% there, for me. It has G-Sync HDR, but only Freesync Premium. Also, customer reviews complain about backlight bleed, near the bottom.

But, the cool thing about it is that it features DisplayPort HBR 3, which enables 10-bit at higher refresh rates (and maybe that's what qualified it for G-Sync HDR?).

Does it support G-Sync and HDR, simultaneously? I don't know what are Nvidia's criteria for stating a G-Sync monitor supports HDR, but you could look into that, if you're curious.

I almost bought one, last December. Amazon briefly had quite an amazing deal on them.

According to the link I posted above, it's "FreeSync Premium", whereas "Premium Pro" is their HDR tier. The tiers are defined here:
It definitely has G-Sync and HDR on at the same time. That’s how I’m using it.

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
"So which is better: G-Sync or FreeSync? Well, with the features being so similar there is no reason to select a particular monitor just because it runs one over the other. Since both technologies produce the same result, that contest is a wash at this point. "

Well, if they're the same performance-wise, then the obvious choice is to take the one that doesn't cost anything. That's pretty much a no-brainer. LOL

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS