[SOLVED] Freeze after 1-4 hours even during during memtest86

Araphen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
I built a computer to use as my plex server and it worked fine for 2 years then it started freezing after 1-4 hours of up time and I have to yank the power to reset it or hold the power button down. I've tried everything I can think of.

- checked the event viewer and saw nothing after a freeze up until a critical power loss event after it was powered back on
- fresh installed windows 10 on the SSD and even activated it with a legit key
- disconnected all the HDDs
- took out the graphics card and used onboard graphics only
- swapped the power supply from a 550w EVGA to a new 600w EVGA and power draw never even went over 100w during testing
- ran 3 out of 4 passes of memtest86 (froze at 4.5 hours in but showed zero errors)
- swapped the ram (but had to swap it back since i needed it in my main computer)
- bought a new Z390-A Pro mobo (then dropped my screwdriver in the socket of the old one and bent pins)
- new M.2 (fresh installed windows again and realized I have to contact Microsoft support cause the key is already in use)

It has to be the CPU right? It's an i3-8100 that I bought new just over 2 years ago and i can't think of anything else it could be. I just need someone else to tell me I've tried everything before I try to warranty it.

It only 'has to be the CPU' if the replacement mainboard is/was 'issue free'...

Test for stability with Memtest86 with one RAM stick at a time, setting default 2133 MHz RAM clocks in BIOS...; check one module at a time, looking for any freezes...(Were you per chance running an XMP profile/RAM speed above stock? Some RAM modules or mainboards a little sensitive on RAM voltage needed at their top rated speeds, i.e, maybe default 1.20 V might not be enough with all RAM kits with all mainboards, and, this might even vary among otherwise identical RAM kits)

Rare is the CPU that won't work with default/auto voltages on most mainboards, but, you can try perhaps upping core voltage .05V within Intel's XTU? You might even be able to drop clocks by 100 MHz or so, or, even more by disabling Turbo within BIOS or the aforementioned XTU. CPU failures are rare, but, certainly at least a few can become degraded after a couple years, but, a stock i3-8100 would seem unlikely for those sorts of failures.. ; if you need to get a replacement CPU from Intel, with any luck, maybe Intel won't have any left and will send you an 8400! :)

Last edited:

Araphen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
try running this

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

and

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Prime 95 checks ram & CPU, it might see things Intel checker doesn't.

NOTE: Don't run at same time, PC might not like that...

Sorry about taking so long to reply. I ran the intel CPU diagnostic tool and it shows "Pass" for everything.

Before I got to the second CPU test a friend loaned me a stick of known-good RAM and the system has been up and running for 3 days now on that. I guess when i had a similar problem with the first RAM swap i just didn't seat it correctly or something.

At some point I plan on running the second CPU test you recommended but i'm so burnt out on this and i still have to re-set up my plex server which i'm sure will suck.

Araphen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
if it works, don't worry about prime. Its your problem, if you happy with results there is no need to go on :)
I'm happy it appears to be fixed but I don't want to go through all the trouble of setting it up again just to have it start with the same problem in a week. I'm still gonna run the test just once I'm recharged a bit.

Thanks for showing me that intel cpu tester. I had no idea it existed. If there were a problem with the CPU how reliably does that program catch it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know how accurate it is, I have seen it report CPU bad so I know it works,

I offered both as Prime is a 2nd opinion. If it passes both it is likely okay

no software is perfect, I seen memtest pass ram but replacing sticks still fixed problem, for instance.