Question Freeze HELP!

Jun 15, 2019
Hello guys, im asking you for help.

yesterday I have bought an pc from someone at facebook(quit dumb I know)
but the specs are really good. I thought, maybe this person is not that smart and he sells it for a bad price.

The problem is the screen is freezing and sometimes it even makes a scratch noise and it freezes after. The only way to restart my computer is through hard reset.

As you can see, everthing should be fine. I've done memory tests. I have done everything.

HELP YOUR FELLOW GAMER OUT PLEASE!

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz 30 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-G (SOCKET 1150) 10 °C
Graphics
Acer VG240Y (1920x1080@75Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 (Gigabyte) 47 °C
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-08U6AA0 (SATA ) 32 °C
111GB KINGSTON SUV400S37120G (SATA-2 (SSD)) 25 °C
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0 (SATA ) 30 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Power Supply
COOLER MASTER 600W

You should fully reset Windows 10. Go to settings, click update & security, then go to recovery. Click get started which is under reset this PC. Choose remove everything then choose remove files and clean drive. Click next and then click reset. Now once it is finished you will get the Windows 10 setup screen, and you can set your PC up like a new PC. After doing this, remember to download all of the drivers from the websites they need to come from, such as for your motherboard and graphics card. I hope this helps.

Jun 15, 2019
I have done this already.. I think the problem Is my motherboard. but I cant know for sure. but its weird, tried nearly anything... at first i thought this was a videocard problem so I bought the GTX 1660 but its still freezing..

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
sometimes it even makes a scratch noise
What is this noise? Do you have a video you could share so we can hear it?

Does the issue occur in safe mode?
What make/model PSU is it exactly?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Run HD Sentinel just to verify drives aren't obviously faulty.

Suspect this could be PSU - it could be many things, but we'd need to narrow down the scope.

Jun 15, 2019
What is this noise? Do you have a video you could share so we can hear it?

Does the issue occur in safe mode?
What make/model PSU is it exactly?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Run HD Sentinel just to verify drives aren't obviously faulty.

Suspect this could be PSU - it could be many things, but we'd need to narrow down the scope.

I did not try it in safe yet, since it only happens when im gaming or at desktop.

https://nl.hardware.info/product/381376/cooler-master-masterwatt-lite-600w/reviews
Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600

Is there a way that i can check that? i tried downloading drivers using winzip driver installer. it nearly installed like 15+ files or so.

''The drive found 1 bad sector during its self test.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.
No actions needed.''

Is the problem described.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I did not try it in safe yet, since it only happens when im gaming or at desktop.
If it happens on desktop, try it in safe mode. If the issue persists, it's probably hardware, if it stops, it's probably software.

Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600
Not a great quality PSU - ones of Cooler Masters more budget lines (CM range from making trash to fairly decent units). It's why they only carry a 3 year warranty. So i'd personally want to upgrade this even if it isn't the problem component.

Is there a way that i can check that? i tried downloading drivers using winzip driver installer. it nearly installed like 15+ files or so.
Personally I'm not one for driver installers, as you never really know the source it's getting the driver from, and what drivers it's installing. Usually best to do it manually. For BIOS, it's a seperate entity entirely, not something you can update from desktop. If you go to Start > type System Information > Enter > Look at the BIOS version in the system summary list and post here.

The drive found 1 bad sector during its self test.
So 1 bad sector isn't a huge problem, but it is a problem, as typically once drives start getting bad / reallocated sectors, it tends to only get worse (depending on whether it's logical or physical).

I've done memory tests. I have done everything.
What memory tests specifically have you run? Windows Memory Diagnostic is good, but not as useful as memtest - memtest is much more thorough.
When you say you have done everything, what else have you done just so we don't end up repeating steps?

Jun 15, 2019
If it happens on desktop, try it in safe mode. If the issue persists, it's probably hardware, if it stops, it's probably software.
I haven't done this, yet I will do this tonight.
Not a great quality PSU - ones of Cooler Masters more budget lines (CM range from making trash to fairly decent units). It's why they only carry a 3 year warranty. So i'd personally want to upgrade this even if it isn't the problem component.
I will do this later since the person who bought this bought this fresh, I saw the receipt which was actually 2 weeks ago.
Personally I'm not one for driver installers, as you never really know the source it's getting the driver from, and what drivers it's installing. Usually best to do it manually. For BIOS, it's a seperate entity entirely, not something you can update from desktop. If you go to Start > type System Information > Enter > Look at the BIOS version in the system summary list and post here.
Bios version/Date
American Megatrends Inc. 3602, 23/03/2018
SMBIOS Version

So 1 bad sector isn't a huge problem, but it is a problem, as typically once drives start getting bad / reallocated sectors, it tends to only get worse (depending on whether it's logical or physical).
Still weird that it says 1 bad sector though. I got 1 more HDD and 1 SSD(windows is installed on the SSD)

What memory tests specifically have you run? Windows Memory Diagnostic is good, but not as useful as memtest - memtest is much more thorough.
When you say you have done everything, what else have you done just so we don't end up repeating steps?
I have done the memory diagnostic and it said everything was okay. no problems found.
I am running the memtest as I post this post, the last time I tried it my pc froze again.
ill reply later

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So I did run it for like 15 minutes : test finished with no errors
15 minutes? Whilst the RAM isn't necessarily a HUGE suspect, it's worth testing, but I would expect a proper memtest (say with 4 passes) to take some hours at least.
I am running the memtest as I post this post, the last time I tried it my pc froze again.
If the freeze is occuring in memtest, then it could well be a memory issue, or at the very least we can guess it's hardware related of some kind.

Still weird that it says 1 bad sector though. I got 1 more HDD and 1 SSD(windows is installed on the SSD)
Being as it did find bad sectors, it won't hurt to run a CHKDSK in an elevated CMD prompt.
Run CHKDSK volume /r
Replace volume with the drive letter where the bad sector was on. (C: or D: usually).
American Megatrends Inc. 3602, 23/03/2018
Latest BIOS installed- so no updates needed there.
You also said you have updated drivers now too?

But most importantly, can you share this scratch noise? Can you hear where it is coming from?
It could well be a HDD suddenly stopping, which would certainly cause a freeze - it could equally be something else, will need to know where this is coming from and what kind of sound it is.

I'd say that if you can find where the scratch is coming from, you can find the problem. It could be anything from the HDD, fans or even an electrical short somewhere. Are you able to take the HDD out completely, and run off your SSD to see if it happens.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If I may add one small pointer here.

In order to be able to listen a bit more closely to individual components you can take an A4 paper, roll it into a long tube (2cm diamteter), put some sticky tape on it. Then put one end near your ear and move/aim the other end towards components while they're working.

This is not a 100% solution but it helps a bit in hearing every individual component better and isolating the sound it's making from the rest of the system.

Since you used HD Sentinel and found a bad sector (it might be the HDD failing) and since there's a scratching sound (if indeed the scratching sound is coming from the HDD) MIGHT be the head/actuator is actually "sweeping" the platter.