Question Freeze when running Valley Benchmark

starmine5

Prominent
May 15, 2019
I wanted to try OC my computer, but when I tried using Valley to get a startingpoint it just froze my computer forcing me to reboot. I've also had problems with both PUBG and Destiny 2 where it just crashes mid-game. I've tried using 3DMark as well and it has crashed as well, but only like 2 times.

Specs:
CPU - Intel i5 2500K
Cooler - coolermaster 212 EVO
MB - Asus P8Z68-V LX
RAM - Corsair vengeance (2x4gb)
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 780
PSU - Corsair TX 750w (Not the new one)

I'm suspecting it's the psu since it's old, but I'm kinda new to this so I'm not sure.

I have used DDU to clean out the drivers and reinstalled them, and I have also tried cleaning out the slot and the connectors for the gpu.

I'd be very thankful for any suggestion and help! :)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
How much are you OC'ing the CPU?
What cooler are you using?
What changes have you made?
What are your CPU core temps?

That board isn't designed for much in the way of OC'ing. Not much in the way of power phases and no heatsink on the VRM mosfets.

starmine5

Prominent
May 15, 2019
How much are you OC'ing the CPU?
What cooler are you using?
What changes have you made?
What are your CPU core temps?

That board isn't designed for much in the way of OC'ing. Not much in the way of power phases and no heatsink on the VRM mosfets.

I haven't OC'd the CPU at all.
I'm using the coolermaster 212 EVO.
I haven't done any changes before I saw crashes.
The core temps on the CPU is around 66 C when running Destiny 2. I haven't checked with any benchmarks yet.
GPU is running it about 50 - 60 C.

I tried playing Destiny 2 for a bit now, but after running for a while I started crashing at one place. Don't know if it's the place in Destiny or if it's because it has been running for a while ://

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Let's eliminate possible software conflicts as best we can first.
  1. Disable as much as possible that starts with Win. Look in your tray for stuff you can disable and run on an as-need basis only.
  2. Maybe most importantly, run CCleaner (free) and do the Clean and Registry portion both. If it comes back with a whole slew of crap, run it again.
  3. Run something like Malwarebytes (free) to see if you have any poorly written malware causing conplicts and hogging resources.
Seems like the i5-2500K is a bit warm considering it isn't OC'ed and has a 212 EVO sitting on it. But the temp isn't the problem if 66C is as hot as it gets. (Might be time to clean off/replace the TIM, however.)

Give the above a try and let me know what the results are.

starmine5

Prominent
May 15, 2019
Let's eliminate possible software conflicts as best we can first.
  1. Disable as much as possible that starts with Win. Look in your tray for stuff you can disable and run on an as-need basis only.
  2. Maybe most importantly, run CCleaner (free) and do the Clean and Registry portion both. If it comes back with a whole slew of crap, run it again.
  3. Run something like Malwarebytes (free) to see if you have any poorly written malware causing conplicts and hogging resources.
Seems like the i5-2500K is a bit warm considering it isn't OC'ed and has a 212 EVO sitting on it. But the temp isn't the problem if 66C is as hot as it gets. (Might be time to clean off/replace the TIM, however.)

Give the above a try and let me know what the results are.

So I did all the steps you recommended and thought I fixed it when I saw that I had AMD files on my computer and deleted it.
I tried the Valley benchmark and it seemed fine, but when playing Destiny 2 for a few hours it started crashing again. It happens after a while and then it starts crashing everytime I restart. Restarting the PC does not work either.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If your sure CPU, GPU, and board temps are all good, and you've done a malware/virus scan and ran CCleaner until it returned no issues, the next thing I'd check is what can be tested; like RAM. Run Memtest on each stick individually for at least one full pass (takes awhile). If it finds any errors at all, chances are the stick is failing.
Edit
If you suspect the PSU, and you have a multi-meter, test the voltages at the 24-pin header and 4/8 pin cpu header while the PC is on.
If you don't have access to a meter, you can get a less accurate reading with software like HWMon.

I'm assuming you already tried doing a clean install of the offending game?

Last edited:

starmine5

Prominent
May 15, 2019
If your sure CPU, GPU, and board temps are all good, and you've done a malware/virus scan and ran CCleaner until it returned no issues, the next thing I'd check is what can be tested; like RAM. Run Memtest on each stick individually for at least one full pass (takes awhile). If it finds any errors at all, chances are the stick is failing.
Edit
If you suspect the PSU, and you have a multi-meter, test the voltages at the 24-pin header and 4/8 pin cpu header while the PC is on.
If you don't have access to a meter, you can get a less accurate reading with software like HWMon.

I'm assuming you already tried doing a clean install of the offending game?

Since I don't have a USB stick right infront of me atm and it's late, I wanted to check the voltages tonight. With HWMonitor I get 0.912V on the GPU and 1.351V on the CPU. I checked the GPU voltage in MSI Afterburner aswell and it reads up to 1075mV. i don't know what's good or bad with voltages.

I'll check the RAM tomorrow when I find a USB stick.

I've done a clean install of the game. Unfortunally it's multiple games that have chrashed :/

starmine5

Prominent
May 15, 2019
Okay, I just saw something i've missed before.. CPUTIN is showing 70 - 80 C at idle and up to 90 C when in benchmark.

Edit:

It might also be bugged because it goes down to the 30's at some points. Is it something to worry about?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, I just saw something i've missed before.. CPUTIN is showing 70 - 80 C at idle and up to 90 C when in benchmark.

Edit:

It might also be bugged because it goes down to the 30's at some points. Is it something to worry about?
YES!
If those temps are accurate, something is very wrong. Verify those CPU temps with RealTemp. Go by the individual cores' temps, not overall CPU temp.
90C is way past throttle temp. I'm surprised the PC isn't shutting down if those temps are true.

starmine5

Prominent
May 15, 2019
YES!
If those temps are accurate, something is very wrong. Verify those CPU temps with RealTemp. Go by the individual cores' temps, not overall CPU temp.
90C is way past throttle temp. I'm surprised the PC isn't shutting down if those temps are true.

So I got a bit excited to see if this was the problem I was having so I stayed up a bit longer to check. RealTemp would not start on my computer and I tried alot of different things to try and fix it but with no luck. I've been searching a bit for any other programs to monitor the cputin and came across a few forums where people are having the same problem. The most common answer to this was that it was something wrong with the Monitor program since the rest is fairly cool in comparison.

Do you know about any other software that let's me check if it reads the same? I had no luck finding anything else unfortunately.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
What program are you using now to read CPU temps? CPUTIN usually refers to the temp at the socket, not the cores themselves.

What is your OS? Win 10 64 bit?
I can't think of any reason Real Temp shouldn't run unless you have other issues with your system.

starmine5

Prominent
May 15, 2019
I used HWMonitor when I saw the CPUTIN temperatures.

I'm using Win 10 64 bit.

I ran MEMtest yesterday and got alot of errors so I'm guessing that's where the problem is. I only did 50% of the test because the clock was around 4 am and I got well over 20 errors. I don't really understand the errors I got so I will ask a friend of mine if I can borrow some RAM sticks to see if I get the same problem or if it fixes it.