Question freeze

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
My computer works stably in most games, but in some games (Mafia definitive edition..) have instantaneous freezes.(When it happens, it doesn't repeat all the time.)
Does this mean there is a problem with the computer? Or can we say normal?
A minor failure with a mechanical machine is a major problem.I don't know whether this freezing can cause some problems on computer or not.

my system:
asus tuf b550 plus
gtx 1070
ryzen 5 5600x
16 gb ram

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If I'm not mistaken that HDD is a SMR drive which are not suitable for daily usge as system drives and to load games and such. More demanding games might be too much for that drive to handle.

Also not sure about the CM masterwatt lite 600w quality. I can't find reputable review on it that might mean it's not such a good PSU and not many repitable sources bothered to review it? A new good quality 600W PSU can easily handle your system with a GTX 1070.

My guess is the drive struggles with in game loads. You can get a SMART report of the HDD post shot to imgur.com and post link here?

Also have you monitored your CPU and GPU temps at idle and under load e.g. in game?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes it appears to be healthy but unless I'm wrong it's an SMR drive and not really suitable for OS operations and games and such. These are good for archving and data storage without numerous daily/hourly access/reading and writing.

Also have you checked system Event Viewer to see if any major even is logged around the time the freezes happen? Have you had any BSODs?

Maybe other woud have some input.

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
Yes it appears to be healthy but unless I'm wrong it's an SMR drive and not really suitable for OS operations and games and such. These are good for archving and data storage without numerous daily/hourly access/reading and writing.

Also have you checked system Event Viewer to see if any major even is logged around the time the freezes happen? Have you had any BSODs?

Maybe other woud have some input.
The error code when I last received a blue screen:kernel power 4163

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That kernel power 41 is a power related issue if memory serves right.

You can try changing power settings in control panel from balanced to high performance before gaming and see if that helps.

Also change HDD power config like this:
View: https://imgur.com/a/xfJXtgi

See if that helps.

I would also recheck and reseat power cables to motherboard and CPU.

I would also check RAM with windows memroy diagnostics or memtest.

I dont have any blue screen problem since I formatted,and i change the old hdd and bought the new one.
By this ^ you mean you didn't do a clean installation of Windows on the new HDD? You cloned old HDD to new one maybe?

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
That kernel power 41 is a power related issue if memory serves right.

You can try changing power settings in control panel from balanced to high performance before gaming and see if that helps.

Also change HDD power config like this:
View: https://imgur.com/a/xfJXtgi

See if that helps.

I would also recheck and reseat power cables to motherboard and CPU.

I would also check RAM with windows memroy diagnostics or memtest.

By this ^ you mean you didn't do a clean installation of Windows on the new HDD? You cloned old HDD to new one maybe?
I did a new installation on the hard drive that I just bought.I'll try what you say. Thanks for helping.😀

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Is the game where you experince a freeze a Steam game? If so it might not be a bad idea to check the integrity of the game files.

If it's Steam go to Library, click on game and click on the Settings/Manage wheel/cog then Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity of game files ... .

Although if the hard drive is indeed a SMR drive, it stuttering during loading large game files like textures and such might be normal.

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
Is the game where you experince a freeze a Steam game? If so it might not be a bad idea to check the integrity of the game files.

If it's Steam go to Library, click on game and click on the Settings/Manage wheel/cog then Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity of game files ... .

Although if the hard drive is indeed a SMR drive, it stuttering during loading large game files like textures and such might be normal.
Files are ok, checked

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020

Is it normal for the graphics card to reach 80 degrees?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Is it normal for the graphics card to reach 80 degrees?
Did your card reach that 80C? Under what load? That game? Mafia?

Under heavy load (gaming or otherwise) and depending on the card, its cooler (how big a sink how many fans), the heat generated by other parts like CPU and how it's handles (CPUs cooler), general air flow/ventilation in the case (how many fans, directions and where in the case) yes it can reach those temps. Nothing specially alarming, unless it gets there very quickly and under a load which would not make it run that hot normally.

I have a GTX 1070 and in all the times I checked how hot it got during operation I don't think it has gone higher than 74-75C. But that's because of all the reasons I said above. My case with its ventilation and the card with its cooler and the certain load its max temp was that. Same conditions with a different load (for example a game that would keep the GPU in my system around 90-100% load for more clock cycles - longer time) it might have gone higher.

Decent cards (don't know your 1070's brand model) have good cooling. So depending on the load if it didn't have that good cooling it might even go higher under same load. Also they have controllers and if the heat would get to a point where it's dangerous for card operation and health it should clock down to make it less hot.

All that said it's always better to try improve air flow/ventilation inside the case. It won't make the card like 10C cooler under same load that gets it to 80C but it's better for all components.

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
I made the power settings in high performance state and the hdd setting as you showed.
but today it was freezing again in my gaming experience,
differently, this time the sound also freezes (when freezing, the sound comes out of the speaker with pixels and stops when the freezing ends)(freezing takes 1-2 seconds)
What is the problem? thanks

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As I mentioned earlier that HDD is a SMR drive and as you have set power setting for the drive not to go to slepp/turn off (in order to save power) the lags/freezes might be because it struggles to cope under the load.

Also its SMART indicated it's healthy. If it's indeed because the drive is SMR geting a CMR hard drive or an SSD would most probably resolve the issue.

Reactions: ''T6C

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
I made the power settings in high performance state and the hdd setting as you showed.
but today it was freezing again in my gaming experience,
differently, this time the sound also freezes (when freezing, the sound comes out of the speaker with pixels and stops when the freezing ends)(freezing takes 1-2 seconds)
What is the problem? thanks
differently today i am experiencing freezing with sound when i am on desktop
All my drivers are up to date. I can't understand what the problem is? Installed in windows m2 ssd(2 months old)

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
differently today i am experiencing freezing with sound when i am on desktop
All my drivers are up to date. I can't understand what the problem is? Installed in windows m2 ssd(2 months old)
Again, those freezes might be due to HDD being SMR. You've had the SSD all along? Before you just mentioned buying a new HDD to replace old HDD.

If you're experincing freezes when Windows and the games you run load and run from the SSD the freezes might not have to do with the HDD. If Windows is on SSD and games on HDD it might freeze (if freezes are because of the HDD).

Also the PSU you said is 4-5 years old. Might be it's not able to provide clean voltage to other parts anymore. For example the SATA power cable that goes to the HDD. Is it a semi-modular or modular unit the PSU? Change that SATA power cable and use another of the unsed cables that came with PSU, don't use any cable. Do not use other cables that you might have, for example from and older PSU. See if that helps.

I would also try testing the system with a known working PSU too. 4-5 years is not that long but many PSUs lose some of their capacity after that time.

Also after a freeze happens see if there's any erros are logged by Event Viewer. If so upload a shot and post link here.

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
There is enough free space on the hard drive and SSD.
Let me tell you from the beginning, instead of the old p300 HDD, I bought a seagate 2 tb ST2000DM008. And I bought a new Samsung 980 MZ-V8V250BW 250 GB as SSD. Windows is installed on the SSD. And the games are installed on the new HDD. I just installed the cables, but I will review anyway. And these days I am experiencing the freezes I mentioned above. First of all, I will uninstall and reinstall the drivers as manual(from the device manager in the photo). If my problem continues, I will suspect the PSU. What would your advice be?photo is representation
View: https://imgur.com/a/3renPBr

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
There is enough free space on the hard drive and SSD.
OK good.
Let me tell you from the beginning,
Yeah best if you did that from beginning!
Windows is installed on the SSD. And the games are installed on the new HDD.
Windows on SSD is good. Games on HDD (specially if it's a SMR drive) not good. Try installing the game to the SSD and see if freezes happen again.

Also how do you conenct the 1070 to the monitor? HDMI? Might not be e bad idea to check another HDMI port on card or monitor (if any) and with another cable.

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
Also how do you conenct the 1070 to the monitor? HDMI? Might not be e bad idea to check another HDMI port on card or monitor (if any) and with another cable.
monitor plugged into display port on gpu and I will check it
and i will reinstall the drivers.

Last edited: