Freezer 7 Pro problem

Olly50

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I have just finished putting together my new computer.

I started it up for the first time, before installing OS, and went into the bios.

According to the Hardware Monitor my cpu temperature is 55 degC and the MB temperature is 40 degC. These seem very high for a E600 conroe with a Freezer 7 Pro cooler. I have a Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard btw.

I did notice notice while putting it together that the Freezer Pro 7 wasn't as rock-hard sturdy as it could be mounted on the cpu. It seems to be part of the design or maybe i have a dud.

I also removed the pre-applied thermal paste on it. I applied instead a thin layer of 'Geil copper thermal compound' on the back of the cpu. It's supposed to be good stuff. It came recommended from a friend.

So could anyone help me out with this? Are those temperatures normal? They seem very high for a conroe with after-market cooler. Has anyone else had any problem with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You should have left the MX-1 thermal compound on it as it is one of the best compounds out there, expecially with that heatsink.

Either you didn't install the heatsink correctly, or you applied too much thermal compound and it's acting like an insulator now. E-mail Geil's customer support and ask for the correct directions on applying their thermal compound for your particular CPU.