Question Freezes after running either USB (MCTool w/Windows 10) or CD Licence Win 7 Pro 64

Apr 4, 2020
Hello.

I tried to update to Windows 10 and it froze at 17%, I had to hit Reset. Since then I cannot get the Media Creation Tool using Rufus to fully instead or the CD Windows 7 Pro 64 licence disk I own. Both, just freeze after the logo starts to load them.

I formatted the USB (FAT32 this time) using a USB 2.0 port
Updated BIOS
Tried to install Ubuntu (heard you can fix PC issues by installing, but it too will not load)

My system is:

Asus M5A99X Evo Ver. 1.01 (BIOS 1704 - was 0813)

16 GB RAM Corsair 1600 Mhz (set to 1333 Mhz)

500 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA

AMD Phenom II 1055T 2.8 Ghz (3.25 turbo)

Had Windows 7 Pro x64 (ran excellent)

Since, I tried for 7 days now, so many different ways to test this system and it is where I am stumped on this one.

There is no Secure to worry about. There is no EFI choice as this is a EUFI menu.

It is not OC, and set to manual to run the 1600 sticks at 1333 Mhz.

I try to run the Media Creation Tool and it tries to run Windows 10 then freezes, sometimes a BSOD sometimes nothing. And as I then try Windows 7 Pro disk, it freezes too - never a BSOD though.

Tried:

Different 2.0 ports
Rufus GPT method then MBR (some say the MBR is needed and is stuck on GPT - well I am not sure how to get it back to MBR)
Asus was not a big help
Waiting to hear from MS

Pulled everything out, even the CPU, put is all back, battery pulled, CMOS shorted, BIOS chip out (LOL)...I tried what I could and put in one at a time, one stick of RAM (tried all 4 separately)...same issue.

Formatted my HDD, checked for errors (it is a newer HDD) nothing

Made sure all cables are in tight and in place - nothing changes

I can get into EZ Flash and it reads my USB files but there is no way I can execute them in hopes it can overwrite what corruption the famous MS did to my perfectly working system (wanted to update to use newer audio interface)...

Tried another HDD SATA Western Digital Caviar Blue - same issue (formatted with drive letter, readable, no security partition)

Can get to FreeDOS but there is nothing else a guy can do in there

Boot order to USB, then CD - the OS's just freeze after a few seconds after the screen logo's...

This is a new (old stock system) just decided to start using my 2012 build!

Any help on getting the BootMGR fixed would be great too as I did run into this when trying without the HDD in (been a long time since I messed with computers and forget or never did this level of issues before)...

Thank you kindly

Apr 4, 2020
Rufus can sometimes make a problematic USB installer. Let the MS Media Creator make your USB installer (the MS created USB is both UEFI and BIOS/MBR) and do a clean install. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
Hi. Again.

Yes. I did the Rufus way and using straight MS way.

This system is sick for sure after Windows 10 hung at 17%.

The system just will not allow Ubuntu, Win 10, Win 7 Pro to load. What I have done to try:

Updated BIOS
There is no EFI choice all EUFI BIOS
All hardware out except SATA drive put in 3.0/ Port with the CDROM in 3.0 Port
Manual says to put those Ports above 5/6 to IDE if you want to install a OS (nope)
RAM, CPU, GPU are fine - due to different methods I did get BSOD's like:
Machine Exception...
WHEA
9c
7e
Ai Tweaker - Turbo off > Set it to Manual with 1600 Mhz RAM to 1333 Mhz

Boot Order either CDROM to try to just get Windows 7 Pro on in case this thing does not like Windows 10?!

Formatted Seagate Barracuda to MBR (nothing loads) / Clean Bill of Heath all good no bad sectors

USB stick of both methods using Rufus and MS - Front and Back USB ports 2.0 of course

BootMGR missing errors when I just try to Boot to the empty HDD (SATA Seagate) !!! LOL

Tried the "turn the machine off 3 times" - when the twirling dots on Windosw 10 and Windows 7 tries to install - Yes, I tried both and nothing loads, just hangs.

Put one RAM stick in at a time and tried to load Both OS's - hangs

Put the BIOS back to 0813 from 1708 (M5A99X Evo Ver. 1.01) just in case and nothing

WinPE hangs

Secure - no Passwords were set so that is or seems off

Put Ai Tweaker to Auto - BSOD may come up as say this is running hot with one of the codes - thus why I got a BSOD.

Tried my other SATA HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue - same results at above!

Pull out battery, reset the CMOS jumpers and put back no change/help

Pulled power supply cables and CPU and reset (thermal paste is good still)

Lots of work, Asus failed to resolve, MS did not write back as I mentioned how the install of their upgrade put my perfectly working system into limbo!

Still awaiting help of a level I may not know or missing...the MoBo is showing a green light so it is fine.

I would like to thank the one guy on here who is helping but to no avail, as I read lots, downloaded and installed lots and this machine has me locked out, is it the BIOS or corrupt Boot Manager due to hung up on the install that ruined it because I tried the MS site online method first and instead of the USB way!! Wish MS would say for us newbie old guys!

I forget how to get to SAFE MODE, but here is what happens when I did get there:

SAFE MODE hangs!! It loads for 3 seconds then stops dead - so it does not work!

Will a new used MoBo that takes the AMD Phenom II 1055T 6 core CPU and Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz RAM (hate to throw this all out - built it in 2012 and just used it 6 months ago).

Any more help would be nice! But, I pretty much tried all I can - unless I need to buy some fancy FixMe Stick or Iolo System Mechanic CD...my Licence Windows 7 Pro 64 does not even load.

Both HDD's are 500 GB older 2012 and 2010 both are fine and formatted no bad sectors using Disk Management from my Windows 7 Home Premium x86 machine...

This is a new old system the parts and machine were never used and I put a Energizer battery in 3 days ago.

Apr 4, 2020
So, when you try and boot the Windows 7 DVD, it just freezes after the BIOS? Have you done any changes to the BIOS or is it set to the default settings?
I did all kinds of things to the BIOS loaded it now to the new version. Yes, after the BIOS - When computer Boots the CD first as I said in the BIOS settings - Freezes, everything freezes.

Windows 10 upgrade caused this whole mess...

I am trying to figure out how the heck to get to SafeMode and try some other option and figure out how to make a Windows 7 rescue DVD apparently a USB stick does not work and Burning a DVD will - from some Lifewire site...

So, I will try that later - been hard at this mess and figuring I will just by some DDR4 parts and build a newer desktop.

Totally locked out of my system from BOOTING up the OS's they all FREEZE!! All things swapped out - cables, pulled out, USB stick for Mouse is out, go to BOOT and I get the BOOT - Frozen at start up on loading either OS...

Apr 4, 2020
I took all hardware out after I did a ChkDsk on the 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 2012 like new!

Reset CMOS once again, battery out, all cables out!

Ai Tweak set to Auto instead of Manual (1333 Mhz setting) - as I saw Press F1 to enter BIOS and change Turbo settings as they were not enabled or working right it says!

Then I make sure the HDD is set in SATA as an IDE - the manual calls for this when installing any OS and to use port 5/6 for the HDD and CDROM - so I did.

I left out my USB stick for the Mouse this time as I read (lots of reading yes I know we are home and all, BUT THIS IS FOR CRAP! LOL)!

Put the Windows 7 Pro x64 Licenced Disk in - Boot order as recommended on some place said CDROM then HDD...so I did...

Turned on the machine and almost had a celebration - the damn thing booted all the way to the logo and I thought I would see the Select Language and go from there - BUT it Automatically restarted and tried to load again and instead of getting a BSOD or just another loop of restart, I get this BLACK screen stating this - it is frozen on this as I thought maybe I can get in somehow or find another 100 sites for this New beauty! LOL

It is the EDIT BOOT OPTION screen... with some long code and /boot.wim with the Cursor frozen right behind it - so some machine language here I believe and something different from all my other trial and errors with BIOS and hard ware and trying 3rd party fixes...that cannot load anyway.

The only other thing I did different as some mention SECURE, I entered in Security and there is an Admin PW and User PW, all I did was Press ENTER for 'nothing as a PW'. But, I am not certain if this made the boot go as far as it did?

I also just have one stick of RAM in this time instead of 4 (4 GB each - Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz) 9-9-9-24

I will post the more important Picture on here with that Black Screen code then just reply with the other screen as I am not sure if we can do two on one post...?!

Thanks for any help this again is just frustrating as heck, I was hoping to fix it and take back this new Laptop from Best Buy to save money...

I guess I cannot insert a photo on here I tried but nothing pastes...sorry

Apr 4, 2020
I will type out the long code:

Path: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
[ /MININT /Redirect RDIMAGEOFFSET=8192 RDIMAGELENGTH=3161088 RDPATH=multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(0)\souces\boot.wim

]

So, there is a big gap for the last 'bracket'

Apr 4, 2020
Figured out how to get to SAFE MODE! Press F7 during Boot with Windows 7 Pro disk in (thumb USB for Mouse still out)

Then, have to Press the Function Lock Key then Press F8.

I tried every option to avail on getting the Disk to boot and reload Windows 7 Pro 64.

1. DEBUGGING MODE caused BSOD - STOP: 0x00000124

2. SAFE MODE w/Command Prompt caused BSOD - STOP - 9c (Maachine Check Exception)

3. Last Known Good Configuration BSOD - STOP: 124 (like Debugging)

4. Boot Logging - Nothing

5. Disable Driver Signature Enforcement - Nothing

6. Safe Mode w/ Networking (Locks up at xxxxxx\drivers\disk.sys Please Wait - Well I waited!

Mem Test all good

7. SAFE MODE - BSOD - STOP: 124 (like Debugging)

Wow Wow Wow - this is tough.

Would I just need a new MoBo? Is that what is preventing Windows 7 to load from scratch? Again, I ChkDsk and Formatted and converted to MBR this HDD Seagate Barracuda SATA 2012 year - like new...?

Screen is still on please wait - I will see what you guys think I should do, this is getting tiresome and I am running out of ideas...I am only a novice geek...

Thanks

First, I need you to limit your responses to short answers. I know you are frustrated and I may ask you to do something you have already tried, but sometimes is just a simple step that is missed.

First, go into the BIOS and click to return it to the default state. Then use diskpart to clean and format your hdd. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10 Next insert the Windows 7 DVD (make sure is is clean of any fingerprints) and when you see the BIOS splash screen press f12 which should give you a boot menu and chose the DVD player.

If that doesn't work, create another MS Media Creator on a different USB and boot as instructed before, but chose USB boot.

Apr 4, 2020
First, I need you to limit your responses to short answers. I know you are frustrated and I may ask you to do something you have already tried, but sometimes is just a simple step that is missed.

First, go into the BIOS and click to return it to the default state. Then use diskpart to clean and format your hdd. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10 Next insert the Windows 7 DVD (make sure is is clean of any fingerprints) and when you see the BIOS splash screen press f12 which should give you a boot menu and chose the DVD player.

If that doesn't work, create another MS Media Creator on a different USB and boot as instructed before, but chose USB boot.
LOL, unless you understood all the info I posted, I am not going to great lengths again and then summarize important details just for yourself... Just delete these posts if you are the admin and take care...

I throw this out and buy new resolved!