Freezes caused by pagefile?

jannoraschinski

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Hi.

I have been having problems since i got my rig up few weeks ago. All my games have little stutters/microfreezes in about every 30 seconds or so..barely noticeable but its driving me crazy. No fps drops during that time.
Today i tried to disable pagingfile and my games are smooth for about 1hour. No stuttering/freezes. After that the small freezes start again. Stuttering starts when pagefile shows about 12gb usage, ram usage is about 8.4gb and vram between 4-5gb. (Using MSI afterburner).
Why is pagefile still in use when i disabled it? What component is failing, is it my ssd, my ram or something else?
My temps are good, GPU 60-70, cpu 50-70 while gaming. Cpu usage low, max 50%, RAM usage 30-40% (8-9gb from 16gb) All up to date drivers( bios, chipset, lan, gpu, audio)

My pc Specs:

Asus maximus IX code(new)
7700k (new) (running 4.8ghz @ 1.190v)
Corsair 2 x 8gb 2666mhz RAM (new)
MSI Armor GTX 1080 8gb
Samsung EVO 750, 250gb (only drive, for games and windows) Few years old!!
PSU ZALMAN - ZM700-GLX (Few years old)
Zowie 144hz gaming monitor

Thanks for any help!

I don't think it's due to pagefile usage (disabled or not). Also, it is recommended to keep your pagefile on. It's not going to slow down your system.
Could your CPU be downclocking periodically?
Download and run Open Hardware Monitor. Set it to log to file. Game until you see the studdering for a bit. Exit game and check the OHM logs.

If you don't want to do the above, reset your BIOS/overclock settings and voltages to default and see if the stuttering persists.

RealBeast

Titan
Agreed, a pagefile error should give you a BSOD.

But, if you disabled the pagefile on one drive, say an SSD, check all your other drives. Windows may well have put it on a slower drive (HDD) unless you insured that all have none. And that would account for stutter -- HDDs are way slower than RAM. With 16GB of memory for just gaming you should be okay without a paging file and will know if you start getting BSODs.

jannoraschinski

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Hi.
Thanks for your reply. If its not due the pagefile then why disabling it makes my game run smooth as butter?
Have done bios reset and default clocks, result is same. Dont think my cpu is downclocking, i have stress tested it with aida and prime for hours. No crashes, no downclocking what so ever. Temps are very low as well after delidding.
Will post OHM logs tomorrow.

jannoraschinski

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
So i changed my pagefile back to system managed and the freezes are back.
OHM logg here.
Seems like Open hardware monitor wont work with 7700k, had to download the alpha version to get it to show core temps. Somehow the clocks are way off. Task manager and MSI afterburner showing 4800mhz.
Log is here.

https://www.upload.ee/image/7904413/OHM.png

Dont see anything off there tbh?

EDIT: I played DOOM on ultra settings, constant 200 fps, no lag. Seems like lagging/freezing are open games world. Such as Rust, Pubg. Its like when it renders new objects the lag occurs. Is there anything to conclude by that? Does the new objects render/load from SSD , RAM or VRAM?

Thanks,

jannoraschinski

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018

I'm really not sure what you mean by that.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
For example: Avst, Avir, AVG, BitDefender, Sophos, and many more anti-virus programs have active shields, active services that monitor for viri, scan process and program EXEs for viri, and some even constantly log what the AV scanned and found. This active back-ground process can produce a quick-freeze (of varying lengths) of any fore-ground-running program or game. What I do not know is: how the pagefile's operations are hindered or not hindered by the AV (anti-virus) utility.

We don't want to look at what OHM is reporting when on the desktop. Set it up to log to file and then hop into a game. It will log the CPU speeds every second (I think), that way you can see if your CPU is doing some ninja downclocks on you. I've seen it before, on a perfectly stable fine overclock - CPUs can be sneaky that way :)