Freezes on starup (even in BIOS) after CPU Watchdog Violation

Jul 8, 2018
Intel 6700k 4.0
ASUS ROG Z170 Pro Gaming
GSkill Trident 2133mhz
Nvidia 1070GTX
PNY, Intel, and WD SSDs

I haven't made any recent updates to my system at all. My girlfriend used it the previous week to make a resume and to my knowledge no updates were downloaded. It sat unplugged in the floor for a few days. I plugged it back in and immediate got a CPU_Watchdog_Violation. After doing some research all the fixes appear to require getting into Windows. The only problem is my pc freezes, even on the BIOS screen shortly after startup. I tried unplugged all the hard drives and attempting the trouble shoot one by one and vice versa. And also tried disconnecting all the hard drives just attempting to boot it. It seems with no hard drives connected at all, even then the PC still freezes while on the BIOS utility screen. My next attempt I figure I will try to flash the BIOS with a jump drive. I have reset the CMOS multiple times but I'm not getting much headway on anything.

Any assistance is much appreciated. It completely baffles me because the computer sat unplugged for a few days and worked completely fine the last time anyone touched it. So its extremely frustrating now because I don't even know where to begin. Whenever its good I have a maximum uptime to work of about 2 minutes. And since the BIOS is even freezing with nothing connected I figure a BIOS flash update would be the next in line. Then try to use a recovery media. Again I am completely baffled. Thanks.

Jul 8, 2018

I managed to do the fix you suggested. But it still froze after I was into windows for a short while. I'll remove the GPU.

Jul 8, 2018
After removing the GPU, I was able to log in to windows an attempted to navigate to asus support page. Then the screen went All-White and the PC was no longer responsive.

Jul 8, 2018

I may, is it just a standard watch battery? Or is it specific CMOS battery?

Jul 8, 2018
A while ago I did install an extra ethernet controller just to see if there was any comparison. I noticed the previous week when I plugged it up for my girlfriend to use, the onboard ethernet controler wasn't working. So just swapped it to the other one, no big deal, I'll figure it out later. But the computer seemed to work fine then without freezing when she used it.

Jul 8, 2018
I think so, I am not 100% certain but I'm like 90% certain, we had a storm a few nights ago and it fried the modem, I'm 90% sure I didn't have the ethernet plugged in at the time. Because when I set it up before I believe I noticed it. But either way I guess I'll throw another $150 at it for a new mother board. Thanks all the help.