Freezes with R9 290X GPU

Saphira1977

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
A while ago (about 1.5 years back) I got an R9 290x gpu for my computer (exact model: ASUS Radeon R9 290X OC DirectCU II 4GB DDR5 512-bit). The rest of my setup is:
- Intel Core i7-2600K
- Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3
- 12 gb of RAM
- 240 gb SSD
- 2 tb HDD

Thing is, since I got that GPU, I've been getting constant freezes (I play wow, and that's where it's most noticeable, they tend to pick the worst moments). I've sent the GPU into service, but they didn't find anything wrong with it. The freezes are random, so not much I can do to "prove" them.
Recently I've been thinking of changing the GPU, but with prices going skyhigh due to mining, I'm finding myself considering seriously if there's anything I can fix with my current gpu. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have another GPU you can try/borrow to test and/or a friend's pc you can test the 290X in? Is your 290X manually overclocked with MSI Afterburner or another overclocking program and if so, does it do it without the overclock? Is your CPU overclocked and if so does running it at stock clocks/voltage fix the problem? Also what is the make/model of your Power Supply?

Saphira1977

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
I still have my old GPU somewhere - but I've already been that road. I used it while my R9 was sent to service, and I had no freezes. Fps drops in games when there was high load - yes, but it's an old card (a Sapphire 6880 or 6800, can't recall), no freezes however.

Saphira1977

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
I ran the Furmark thing in 1080 resolution (it's what I'm using, higher doesn't work, might be my monitor not supporting it, it's pretty old). Temperature went to 77 degrees Celsius. I also ran a stresstest, and fans went to 186% and temperature to 94 degrees. The gpu is in a 16x slot indeed. I took some pictures, also for the furmark tests here: https://imgur.com/a/nX317hp