Freezes witn XP and Win7

shawn510

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I have the same problem as the guy in this thread has: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261428-31-windows-freezing-install-running-help

I get freezes during the install process usually, If I somehow coax a full install out of it I get freezes within seconds of booting to desktop on XP Home. Windows 7 usually freezes during the inital dialog. Tweaking with BIOS settings gets it further along in the process, but it always freezes.

I have a Asus p5n7a-vm mainboard -new
P4-LGA775 3.06 processor-old
2x1gb kingston DDR2 ram -old (also tried 2x256 set of hynix with identical results, both sets memtest fine)
Maxtor 200gb SATA HD - OLD
HP dvd-rw -old
generic cd-rom -old
antec trio 430 PSU -new
old ps/2 kbd and old usb mouse

Everything else has been left out until I can get it running. I'm using the onboard geforce 9300 video and the latest BIOS.

The situation is the same as above, it reliably freezes on install, and if I somehow get past that, it freezes shortly after boot.
Windows 7 install freezes either at initial dialog or part way through the install process.

The weird thing is that a Bart-PE XP live-cd works fine, safe mode works fine. The weirder thing is that if I manually force the "Standard PC" HAL during XP install, I don't get freezes, but I wind up with a non ACPI system. Also Win7 does not have a non-ACPI HAL at all, and that's where I'll eventually be going. Other people with the same mobo report no problems with Win7.

Any ideas?

I forgot to mention that I already RMA'd the mainboard thinking it was that and the new one shows identical behavior.

I have also put the HD in another system, installed XP fine and ran sysprep. After putting the HD back in the new system, windows freezes hard within seconds of booting. Another thing I have noticed is that sometimes when it freezes the system will not POST anymore unless I power it off at the PSU and back on again.

Freezes are very often a RAM issue. What is the exact model of your Kingston RAM. Did you manually set the timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS? memtest86+ is pretty good at checking for RAM errors, but I've seen RAM pass memtest, but still not be stable.

It doesn't look like your CPU is supported by that motherboard. I only show three P4 CPU's on the list and none of them run at 3.06GHz.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

shawn510

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

I don't recall the exact model but I will post the info when I get home. I have tried setting the timings and voltage, I also tried upping the voltage (slightly) with no difference. I also tried the slower Hynix modules I had on hand.

I'm afraid it might be the CPU issue, it is properly recognized in BIOS, but I notice that all the supported CPUs are newer ones with 800 FSB or higher. Could the CPU be just too old? I've heard of too new being a problem but not too old. I thought LGA 775 was LGA 775, but apparantly not.

All bets are off if your CPU isn't in the supported CPU list. I'd save up $73 and get an E5200. I recently built a computer for my parents using the E5200 and it's a great little chip. It will blow the doors off of your P4 at stock speed and is very easy to overclock. My chip overclocked to 3.4GHz with only 1.2v.

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072 $72.99

shawn510

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

Looks like that is what I am going to do. I was skeptical about going down in clock speeds until I looked at the CPU charts.