Question Freezing and computer shut down, graphics card problem?

Mar 14, 2019
Hello yall,

I am a videographer/editor for a small college. I've had my computer for a year and half and had only minor problems with it. A couple days ago, I was watching a youtube video and editing on Premiere Pro, when my screens froze. About a minute later the computer shut down. After confirming that it was a reoccuring problem (I tried to edit three times before giving up), I tried updating Windows and ended up having to reinstall Windows (it corrupted after a hard shutdown). The problem still persists. I think its a bad GPU but it is hard to really tell as my graphics card does not look damaged, and seems to mechanically work fine. I am able to watch youtube and type this out no problem but once I turn on an editing program that uses it, a few minutes later the computer crashes. It tried a different GPU (GTX 680) and it managed not to crash (though the lag was very noticeable). Any ideas?

My computer build:
Asus X299-Prime (Motherboard)
i9-7900x (CPU)
Corsair Water Cooler
64 GB Corsair (2x32GB) (Memory)
EVGA 1000 G3 (Power Supply)
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti (Graphics Card)
(2) 1 TB Samsung 960 Pro (M.2 SSD)
Windows 10 64-Bit
Adobe Creative Cloud

Monitors:
(3) Samsung S27D590 Monitors
Seiki 39" TV

Last edited:

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
you are describing a HDD data corruption issue.
This means that either your HDD is damaged, it could be caused by RAM corruption or by some misconfig in the software.
Start by checking the event viewer. do some HDD test and continue with a memory test.
One more experiment would be, since you have so much RAM, to create a RAMDISK, copy the project onto it and open it from there in your editing software.

Mar 14, 2019
I don't have a HDD. The 1 TB Samsung 960 Pro is a NVME M.2 drive, solid state. I run projects off of one of the M.2 drives, OS on the other. I store all my footage and effects on a Network Attached System and rendered, finished videos on a second NAS that are connected via a 10 Gb line. Both NAS' are operating within parameters as well. Opened 3-4 different projects as well as a couple of After Effect projects to make sure just a little while ago and still have the problem. These programs are GPU intensive, but I have at several points throughout the last year ran several of these programs at the same time and only had a little lag as a result.

I'll try a memory test to see if everything is fine, but I ran a benchmark a week ago before this happened and everything seemed fine. IDK.

We (IT and me) thought it might be a misconfig and Windows ended saying that, which is why we ended up reinstalling Windows.

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
Maybe someone has more experience using NVM SSD in an enterprise environment and could rule it out, I'd say you are touching some upper limit of operations of read/write either caused by OS or by the drive itself.
The main argument is that when you replace the GPU with something slower, the issue does not occur, which means that the read/write operation is faster than the render memory action.

Again it could be caused by the GPU but there's no safe way to test. Let's say you get a new card and the issue remains, or you get a new SSD and the issue also stays.
For now you would be safer to replace both SSD's with classical drives and try to recreate the problem ( I am sure this will cause other types of lag) but you will know for sure.

Mar 14, 2019
As it is I just got a RTX 2080 Ti to replace the 1080 Ti. Just installed it and had same problem. Hard to think that the read/write operation on a M.2 drive is getting overloaded but possible. Has anyone had trouble with the 10 and 20 series cards and the new updates from Windows? getting bluescreen of death with a DPC Watchdog violation stop code when it shuts down.