Freezing and rebooting even after reformat

bjj8383

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
My Asus G73JH laptop [Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit] is about 2.5 years old and the other day it began suddenly freezing and rebooting. What I mean by that is the following: A) When it freezes, there is no warning, no gradual slow down, no anything. The mouse instantly refuses to respond, the computer makes no "thinking" internal noises, nothing. I'm forced to hard reboot. B) When it reboots itself, it is also instantly. There is no gradual closing of programs, it's just SHABANG.

This became an issue suddenly. One day it was fine, the next it was doing this unpredictably.

So I decided to go ahead and reformat the thing and re-installed everything via the Asus-provided "AI Recovery Burner" program.

Annnd it's still having the same problems. Not only did I experience several errors when trying to do the million and one Windows updates, but it's still freezing and rebooting. Even in safe mode, it freezes. The timing of these things is unpredictable, it could happen 2 minutes after boot-up or, the computer could run fine for hours. So far, the freezing is much more common than the rebooting.

Assuming the issue was hardware related, I ran Memtest86 last night for 7 iterations and it turned up zero errors.

Please give me suggestions as to what could be wrong. Thanks in advance.

cl-scott

Honorable
Based on the description you give, I'd have to say it's probably a heat issue, and specifically your GPU overheating.

Since you're well out of warranty, you may want to start by cracking the unit open and clearing out all the dust bunnies and what not that have built up over time. That may well be enough to get you back up and running without any issues.