Freezing and Restarting at random

arookonas

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
I built my computer about 2 years ago now and have had very few problems since then. However, this year, I've had one or two new issues appear and I'm not really sure what to do. I may have built my computer but I don't know too much about them so please do excuse me or inform me if what I'm saying is crazy.

Out of nowhere in February my computer flashed and shut off, refused to turn on. Somehow my Graphics card and secondary hard drive failed and died. Since then I've been having issues after buying replacement parts. I tried rendering a video in Sony Vegas and the computer shut off, when it restarted it told me that the power supply sent a surge to the motherboard so it shut off. Every time I tried to render the video it did it, so I turned off the setting in the BIOS. Even with the BIOS setting turned off, it continued to restart when rendering videos, so I gave up on it.

This issue has seemed to expand on to some gaming now, and ended up killing my second secondary hard drive. I can play games like Mass Effect Andromeda for hours on end with no issues, but after ~20 minutes of Halo Wars 2 my computer will shut off. I haven't been able to see heatlogs during Halo Wars 2 because It always shuts off when I'm not looking at the logs but Mass Effect Andromeda gets the Cores to 46C-48C Max, my idle temps are about 21C-30C. Video card Temperatures resting rate is 41C, minimum is 30C, and Maximum is 70C (For Andromeda) which I think is too hot?

The other issue that's not major, as far as I'm aware, occurs whenever I launch a game. If I'm talking to someone the computer severely lags. My voice doesn't come out properly for about 10 seconds and theirs is a stuttered speech that repeats the first syllable of whatever they say. It doesn't freeze ever during play but it does when launching games. This issue has existed for a while is not a new issue.

My build consists of
CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
Motherboard: ASUSTek Rampage V Extreme
Memory: G.Skill DDR4-2132 (64g [Is this too much? Do I need to upgrade these?])
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W 80+ Gold
Storage: KINGSTON SHFS37A240G (250 GB SSD) and Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 (4 TB HD)

arookonas

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

To be honest, since it was my first build I didn't know what I was doing. I tried using an 850 and a 1050 (still have them) but couldn't figure out how to connect it. I connected up the 1050 a few days ago and it said that the cpu fan wasn't working, I don't know if I connected it incorrectly or what so I just switched it back to my 1500.

I've gone two years with no problems with a 1500 W power supply. I don't think that's the issue but I don't know.