FREEZING at 50%

Terminator466

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
Ok so my computer likes to freeze around a 50% load and 50 degrees celcius, any ideas why?
Build:
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3
AMD Octa-core FX-9590 4.7GHz Desktop Black Edition 8 Socket AM3+
MSI Graphics Cards R9
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX
and CS750M PSU

Is the motherboard and the cpu socket on it rated for a 220W cpu.
Have a check to see on the Asus support website under the cpu compatibility list.

Also check what revision of the bios firmware is currently installed on your motherboard, and check to see if there are any bios updates that add a bit more stability to the system or add support for the model of cpu you are using in the system.

Has the cpu got any kind of overclocking applied to it by manually setting the cpu multiplier in the bios ?
Is Xmp mode for the memory enabled in the bios and are the voltage settings of the ram modules set to 1.65v in the bios.
And have you over clocked the memory at all by changing the bus from 200Mhz upwards at all in the bios.

Most of the time, if the system freezes it`s and indication that the cpu needs a bit more core voltage applied to it to keep it stable. Under any sort of load put on it. Check to see in your bios what the core voltage of the cpu is.

You should find it`s at about 1.356v at least , any lower.
Set it to that manually in your bios.

You can manually change the core voltage in your bios by 0.250Mv power steps if you wish.
So try adding 0.250Mv, if 1.356v is not enough.

Save the new setting in the bios before you exit it and test the system in windows os with load on it.
Keep an eye on the heat of the cpu when you increase the core voltage. your H100i cpu water cooler should keep it in good check though for heat dissipation.

Most up to date bios firmware revision is 2501

Terminator466

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
No no overclocking what so ever. ok Ill look into getting a better rated psu. I dont feel comfortable poking around in the BIOS so ill just take the easier route. Asus says that the cpu is compatible but it needs special thermal paste, ill also look into getting that

TRENDING THREADS