Freezing at HP load up screen

Gallin Bejal

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
HP Pavilion Desktop p7-1423w with windows 8 is freezing intermittently on HP load screen. I have gone down a few trails to try and solve the problem. First I checked into the SD Card problem HP had been having. I ruled that out. There is one stick of RAM which I reseated in the other slot. It continued to start intermittently. I unplugged USB mouse and Keyboard. This seemed to have an effect as it would often boot, but when immediately repeated it wouldn't boot. I unplugged the Hard Drive started the machine, turned off, replugged in the hard drive, problem persisted. You can tell immediately if the machine will boot properly by the sound (or lack thereof) of the hard drive. I am convinced that when it fails to boot is completely random and happenstance upon some hardware issue.
I'm fairly certain this is a hardware issue and most likely the hard drive but wanted to get other thoughts.

Solution
If you could not boot with the Seatools for DOS disk, there is a major hardware issue going on that is not simply the hard drive. Since the Seatools for DOS disk has an OS on it, it doesn't need (or use) the hard drive to boot (You did use Seatools for DOS and not the Windows version I hope). I'd say to pull the mobo and check capacitors, you may be lucky and find that it is a replaceable capacitor (or two or...) that is the issue. I'll also recommend checking any IC's on the board for burns (it's usually quite obvious when they burn) although it is less common to see now, some IC's are replaceable without reballing.

Gallin Bejal

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

For sure, I am working on for a friend. And I think they bought it at WALMART! Anyway, I was able to run check disk on another machine. No bad sectors. Ram checks out in other machine as well.

Darthjonathan12

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

Run a MEM test 86+ if thats not the problem check to see if the motherboard has any known issues of capacitors blowing. If both check out then I would recommend trying a different OS like windows 7 and see if that works.

If you could not boot with the Seatools for DOS disk, there is a major hardware issue going on that is not simply the hard drive. Since the Seatools for DOS disk has an OS on it, it doesn't need (or use) the hard drive to boot (You did use Seatools for DOS and not the Windows version I hope). I'd say to pull the mobo and check capacitors, you may be lucky and find that it is a replaceable capacitor (or two or...) that is the issue. I'll also recommend checking any IC's on the board for burns (it's usually quite obvious when they burn) although it is less common to see now, some IC's are replaceable without reballing.

Solution