[SOLVED] Freezing at please wait on bootup

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I had a fine running Windows 10 PC that I installed a faulty HDD into to see if I could run chkdsk on or at least try to open or somehow repair. I had initially found out something was wrong because when I tried to install OS on it it showed 0 MB available, and was completely unable to create a partition, etc...
When I first tried the suspect HDD about a week ago it showed up in this PC, but again showed no available space, nothing. Also it did not even show model number, etc. I went into command prompt and tried diskpart, clean, (which showed successful), but when I tried to create a primary partition and error came up saying unable due to I/O error. Sorry, don't remember specifically.

i gave up for the time being. I did some more research and decided to pop the drive back into the same Windows 10 PC as prior and went to the command prompt to try diskpart, clean and to try to create a partition. Error again.

Decided to run chkdsk and showed some error in the uppercase table. Mentioned something about running fix, but I decided to exit cmd prompt and just remove the bad HDD for now as I did not want to risk having something happen to my working Windows 10 HDD. Well something happened.

I went to boot up that same PC, and now it freezes after approx. 1 minute with the please wait and the small circles going around. Also just before the freeze up the screen flickers one time.

i was able to get to advanced options and tried a system restore which said it completed successfully and restarted, but back to frozen please wait screen all.over again. I let it sit for 15-20 minutes and no go

i just don't see how the steps that I did messed up the good HDD, but there you have it.

Any help to get it up and running would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
For the drive, it does seem like the PCB (the circuitry on the HDD) is busted, as there's clearly broken/no IO to the drive even though you could hear the internals running.

It might be resolved by swapping it with a working PCB salvaged from an identical drive, but that's really not an end-user thing as it requires soldering and chip reprogramming...

So, if you have nothing important on it, it's probably not worth to try a thing. If you have, time to call a few recovery companies.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Update.
I was wondering if maybe the screen flicker might have something to do with graphics card driver so did a system restore from an even earlier restore point and restarted PC. Now the PC seems to be running fine, (so far), but of course running onboard video as GPU drivers gone. I will download drivers and see what happens.

As far as the faulty HDD, you can hear light ticking at boot up, but then nothing after that. When going into the boot menu it shows that something is there to pick from, but just a blank line, no HDD model #, etc. I popped the HDD into another unused PC and it cannot locate an HDD at all.

Is there any chance of repairing the drive?

Thanks.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
For the drive, it does seem like the PCB (the circuitry on the HDD) is busted, as there's clearly broken/no IO to the drive even though you could hear the internals running.

It might be resolved by swapping it with a working PCB salvaged from an identical drive, but that's really not an end-user thing as it requires soldering and chip reprogramming...

So, if you have nothing important on it, it's probably not worth to try a thing. If you have, time to call a few recovery companies.

Solution