[SOLVED] Freezing in games for ten seconds at a time after about 3 hours of playing ?

luke11232

Honorable
Mar 29, 2017
Hi! So in the last few months I almost entirely replaced my pc with new hardware I bought specs are as follows.

Cpu: Intel Core i7 10700k
Mobo: Gigabyte Z490 UD AC
Ram: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL14 DDR4 Trident z
Gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3070
Psu: Corsair rm750

My issue started soon after I got my new parts all of the specs above are new within the last 4 months. When I play a game any game for a extended amount of time my game starts to freeze increasing in frequency it starts about 3 hours in or so sooner for other games.
There are many things I have tried at first I immediately thought maybe it was memory leak or something or faulty ram because it was freezing I tried a mem test everything came back normal on 4 passes.

Next thing I tried was Reinstalling windows because I thought maybe it was a drive issue nothing tested all my drives with crystal disk no issues there either.

Then I tried to put my Gpu in a different pc to see if I could recreate the issue with no luck so I am at a dead end I still have no clue what it is that is causing this problem my guess is now that it might be either the Motherboard or Cpu.

I have also monitored in HWM and Riva tune to see if anything happens when the freezes occur like voltage temp etc with no luck so I thought I would ask here before I go buying new stuff to test to see what the problem is.

side note: the game that it seemed to happen the fastest in was Escapefromtarkov which is a very Cpu based game it would start freezing within like 30/40 mins instead of 3 hours.

Solution
Check Windows' event log, I'm guessing the 10s freeze is the GPU drivers restarting because they encounter an abnormal state. If that is the case and you had the issue both before and after a clean Windows install, the GPU may be defective.

If you couldn't duplicate the issue when you put the GPU in a different PC, it could be that the GPU is marginally stable and your new PC doesn't play as nice with the new GPU as your other test PC did. You could try swapping out PSUs between the two PCs, see if that makes the GPU stable in your new PC.
I have also monitored in HWM and Riva tune to see if anything happens when the freezes occur like voltage temp etc with no luck so I thought I would ask here
What temps did you see on the CPU?!
You should also go into the bios and look at what temp the mobo slows down the clocks and/or stops the CPU.
Your mobo might also be auto overclocking your CPU using much higher vcore and watts then it should.
You should upload pics of your bios settings if you aren't sure about what are the correct settings.

InvalidError

Titan
Check Windows' event log, I'm guessing the 10s freeze is the GPU drivers restarting because they encounter an abnormal state. If that is the case and you had the issue both before and after a clean Windows install, the GPU may be defective.

If you couldn't duplicate the issue when you put the GPU in a different PC, it could be that the GPU is marginally stable and your new PC doesn't play as nice with the new GPU as your other test PC did. You could try swapping out PSUs between the two PCs, see if that makes the GPU stable in your new PC.

Solution

luke11232

Honorable
Mar 29, 2017
What temps did you see on the CPU?!
You should also go into the bios and look at what temp the mobo slows down the clocks and/or stops the CPU.
Your mobo might also be auto overclocking your CPU using much higher vcore and watts then it should.
You should upload pics of your bios settings if you aren't sure about what are the correct settings.
I have a nhd15 I was overclocking at 4.8ghz stable 1.27volts but I reverted all Overclocks and disabled Xmp profile I am currently running stock frequency's but that did not help.
Temps are within normal operating 54c to 60c under full load and I have also checked fan curve and temp shutoff it's set to something like 95c so default.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020

Usually when GPU drivers reset you get a black screen for a few seconds until they boot up again.

@luke11232
I've had a few similar cases from customers and a clean install of windows fixed the issue. Happens fairly often. Maybe give that one a try before troubleshooting the hardware (i assume you dont have spare parts lying around).

luke11232

Honorable
Mar 29, 2017

I thought if the driver restarts it usually notifies you through Nvidia control panel does it not? The other pc I have is a home theater pc so it only has a 750ti in it.

luke11232

Honorable
Mar 29, 2017
I do have a test Psu but it's 500 watts it was used for troubleshooting it's a 20 dollar Chinese power supply I would not trust it with my 3070.
I usually reinstall windows every 3 months but when this started happening It was around the time that patch KB5001330 Came out but I reverted and that did not help I have fresh installed about 3 times now.

InvalidError

Titan
I thought if the driver restarts it usually notifies you through Nvidia control panel does it not? The other pc I have is a home theater pc so it only has a 750ti in it.
I don't know about Nvidia's control panel, been quite a while since the last time I remember having driver restart issues and those may have been back when I was still using an HD5770. IIRC, the driver restarts showed up as a toaster notification.

I usually reinstall windows every 3 months
Yikes. I don't usually re-install more than once every 2-3 years unless I screw something up during the initial install and end up needing to re-install again to fix it.

In any case, a driver restart, be it from an internal driver error or unexpected GPU state, is the only thing I can think of that would freeze video for ~10s before returning to seemingly normal.

luke11232

Honorable
Mar 29, 2017
I don't know about Nvidia's control panel, been quite a while since the last time I remember having driver restart issues and those may have been back when I was still using an HD5770. IIRC, the driver restarts showed up as a toaster notification.

Yikes. I don't usually re-install more than once every 2-3 years unless I screw something up during the initial install and end up needing to re-install again to fix it.

In any case, a driver restart, be it from an internal driver error or unexpected GPU state, is the only thing I can think of that would freeze video for ~10s before returning to seemingly normal.
From what I can see there is no driver crashing or really anything error related on event viewer.

luke11232

Honorable
Mar 29, 2017
Hi! So in the last few months I almost entirely replaced my pc with new hardware I bought specs are as follows.

Cpu: Intel Core i7 10700k
Mobo: Gigabyte Z490 UD AC
Ram: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL14 DDR4 Trident z
Gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3070
Psu: Corsair rm750

My issue started soon after I got my new parts all of the specs above are new within the last 4 months. When I play a game any game for a extended amount of time my game starts to freeze increasing in frequency it starts about 3 hours in or so sooner for other games.
There are many things I have tried at first I immediately thought maybe it was memory leak or something or faulty ram because it was freezing I tried a mem test everything came back normal on 4 passes.

Next thing I tried was Reinstalling windows because I thought maybe it was a drive issue nothing tested all my drives with crystal disk no issues there either.

Then I tried to put my Gpu in a different pc to see if I could recreate the issue with no luck so I am at a dead end I still have no clue what it is that is causing this problem my guess is now that it might be either the Motherboard or Cpu.

I have also monitored in HWM and Riva tune to see if anything happens when the freezes occur like voltage temp etc with no luck so I thought I would ask here before I go buying new stuff to test to see what the problem is.

side note: the game that it seemed to happen the fastest in was Escapefromtarkov which is a very Cpu based game it would start freezing within like 30/40 mins instead of 3 hours.

So I looked over my Rivatuner again and when I get a freeze the Gpu's wattage drops significantly from around 220watts full load to 70watts whether that is from it slowing down because the game is frozen or if that is the issue in the first place I do not know but maybe that info might narrow it down.