[SOLVED] Freezing / Lagging after new build - Ryzen 5 3600 / B450 Tomahawk Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there! First time poster, long time lurker.

I have just built a new PC with some new pieces (CPU, MOBO, RAM) and have reused some pieces (GPU, PSU, cabling).

Specs:
Mobo - B450 Tomahawk MAX
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - GTX 1070
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw 3200 mhz 2 x 8GB - F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
PSU - XFX XPS-650W-SEW
SSD - Seagate 240GB

I know that the GPU is functioning fine since it was on my last build. I am tech-savvy but this was my first time building a PC. I have reseated triple checked everything is connected properly.

It boots fine, and the B450 Max is Ryzen 3000 compatible out of the box. I have reinstalled windows 10 (12040 older version) on the SDD.

Problem is it is a bit laggy and hangs, and then without fail it freezes and resets, and occasionally BSOD with the error - CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
This is all while it is idle. I have used HWMonitor to check and CPU temp doesn't rise above 30 degrees idle. Voltage flicks between 1-1.4.

Have tried ram at both 2133 (default BIOS setting) and with XMP enabled (Goes up to 3200mhz).

I have tried;

1. No GPU, removing all peripherals and other hard drives
  2. Only 1 stick of ram, in alternating slots, both sticks of RAM
  3. Trying to update windows (freezes before it can even get close to downloading the update), safe mode wont let me update either and get an error
  4. Trying to update GPU drivers (won't let me because old Win 10 version)
  5. Updated chipset drivers

Have not;
1. Updated BIOS (my understanding is the Max was released last week and is completely up to date
2.Successfully installed GPU driver
  1. Tried other RAM (don't have any spare DDR4)
  2. Used Memtest86 to test RAM

Any help would be much appreciated. Noted that it does not crash / restart in BIOS.

Cheers,
Clamdaddy

Solution
My first steps would be updating the BIOS to the newest Ryzen 3000 version, and using Memtest86. Also, I usually bench test the motherboard, CPU and graphics card for problems before installing into the case.

g-unit1111

Titan
Have you overclocked your 3600? Or have you enabled any settings other than running DOCP? Because there's probably some setting in the BIOS that is throwing off Windows and causing your system not to run properly. Try wiping the settings and running on default (with no overclocking or XMP/DOCP settings enabled) and see what happens.

Aug 1, 2019
Have you overclocked your 3600? Or have you enabled any settings other than running DOCP? Because there's probably some setting in the BIOS that is throwing off Windows and causing your system not to run properly. Try wiping the settings and running on default (with no overclocking or XMP/DOCP settings enabled) and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

No - I haven't done anything to the 3600. I did enable XMP but i've turned that off again.

I'm in the process of trying to update to the newest windows 10 but it keeps crashing during the update process.

Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

An update - crash reports show ntoskrnl.exe as the cause of the error.

Windows Memory Diagnostic tools came up clean as well. I'm going to try to run Memtest86 to double check the RAM.

LordConrad

Distinguished
My first steps would be updating the BIOS to the newest Ryzen 3000 version, and using Memtest86. Also, I usually bench test the motherboard, CPU and graphics card for problems before installing into the case.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.