Freezing/Lockup but audio still playing

gaganjit1

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
From time to time, my PC will freeze completely (cursor cannot move) and I have to do a cold reboot to get out. I have seen that this generally happens when I have many windows open or something intensive running, but it is not necessary.

Also, these lockups can happen while waking up from sleep too. If I resume from sleep, sometimes I will experience artifacting (green or black rectangles (sometimes flashing)) and sometimes it just fails to wake up (black screen), sometimes it loads but freezes, but no matter what, the audio is playing perfectly in the background. I don't know the cause.

I decided to Ram Test with MemTest86 and it passed all tests except Hammering Rows where it produced about 100 single bit errors, but this does not seem to be the issue and i heard hammering rows is a common issue with older ddr3 rams. I don't think this explains any behavior i'm seeing.

I have noted that when it freezes: It produces NVIDIA error 13 in event viewer. (I have no idea what that is reading on the internet) but never when I get a black screen coming out of sleep does it produce any such error, only freezing.

I have tried a different Windows copy in a partition....it did not work, reset CMOS, rearranging RAM, replugging every component, reverting Graphics Drivers, disabling SmartConnect and Rapid Start. Nothing has worked.

I also noticed that my hard drive has 3 bad sectors, and I sometimes get the \Driver\WUDFRd error if anywhat related. My hard drive does run rather slow sometimes. I am not sure if hard drives can cause the freezes I am getting. (Audio still running but screen stuck) Correct me if I am wrong. =) Any help shall be appreciated especially if you have had this situation before!!!

I am on a:

AsRock Z97M Anniversary w/ Integrated Audio
Intel i7 4790k
EVGA GTX 660ti
XFX 550W PSU
WD 1.5 TB Green

Liereaper

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
The freezing and audio keeps going its common and i don't think it has to do with the HDD. Try checking if the task manager and verify the ram and cpu are not being overloaded. If you think the problem may be the GPU so remove it and try if its still freezes if so that's not that's not the problem and may be a virus infection. Try downloading Panda Cloud Cleaner portable versionhttp://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/support/card?id=1680 to remove any problems or use the free version of malwarebytes. hope it helps

gaganjit1

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
i do understand that they can cause freezes. But, I have a weird type of freezing. Usually everything freezes in a lockup, but here only display does but Audio is running in background perfectly. I was wondering if hard drives or CPUs can cause that....or what does.

fr0sty98

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015

Did you fix it?? Cuz i have same issue..