Freezing on boot up after graphics card driver install.

bradleykinz

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Hi, I recently became part of the Windows insider program and I immediately starting having problems. Majority of pictures were distorted and videos were the same way or would not play at all. So I tried a reset without getting rid of personal files. I was hoping it would remove me from the insider program but it did not, however, it fixed my issue. Until I tried to install new drivers for my r380. Once they were install, I restarted the computer and since then it will not boot past the log in screen. Once the log in screen comes up it will either freeze or let me try to sign in then freeze. But it will always freezes once, the screen goes black then the login screen comes back. It will freeze again and the screen will stay black. I tried doing the hold shift and restart it to get to the reset screen but no matter what option I pick the screen goes black and stays black. Any suggestions?

Solution
As I said, either you need to do this:

Go into the BIOS. Press delete as you power on the PC.

Once inside the BIOS, go to Advanced Bios Features.

You will see First Boot Device in the list.

Select this as USB-FDD.

Then, press F10 to save.

Then press ESCAPE to quit. The computer will boot from the USB drive if it is inserted and correctly formatted.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello.

You can try to do a system restore. The hard way. ^^;

Simply unplug the pc or switch the power switch off at least three times while booting windows (when the small wheel turns). After three times, windows will say you have an error and give you the troubleshooting console.
VkJbXX7.jpg

There, select system restore and restore your pc to the last [strike]Save Point[/strike] Restore Point. This will remove the video card drivers that gave you errors.

bradleykinz

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
After I clicked on system restore, the screen went black. Should I just let it run and see if anything happens? Also whenever the screen goes black, the fans on the graphics card stop moving.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Yes, I would wait a while. If it stays black...then your windows is corrupted for some reason. You can do another reset/refresh using the same menu if you did not install anything yet on the pc.

Also, did you try removing the video card and booting windows with your onboard graphics? Then you can remove the drivers and test again. Your video card may have issues as well...

Most modern video cards stop their fans when they aren't overheating though, so it may be normal.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
I see. You might need to reset your BIOS for it to work. What is your motherboard and CPU though?

Anyways, if it worked okay once you refresh'd windows...I suggest installing the video card back in and refreshing windows again.

bradleykinz

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
I was able to get it work by plugging into my tv instead of my monitor. But after i did the reset, it said it couldn't delete all of my personal files and after that it would blue screen saying system service exception during installation. I tried putting the graphics card back in and now it says windows restarted unexpectedly cannot continue with installation. Motherboard is a Gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 and the amd 8350.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Wait, you did install the video card with everything unplugged from the wall socket...right? If the computer was ON while you did that...you could have broken your video card completely. Always work internally with everything unplugged, and the rear power switch at OFF! Also, windows WILL bug if you work internally while it is working...

I suggest trying to do another Reset/refresh. If it doesn't work, you will need to repair windows using a bootable USB disk or DVD.

bradleykinz

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
No even when I do that, it just goes to devices listing then installing windows. I tried unplugging the ssd and only using my hdd and burning a copy of win10 on a disk. It says please insert system disk and press enter (doesn't say that for the ssd), which I did but nothing happens. So I can figure what is wrong. lol

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
As I said, either you need to do this:

Go into the BIOS. Press delete as you power on the PC.

Once inside the BIOS, go to Advanced Bios Features.

You will see First Boot Device in the list.

Select this as USB-FDD.

Then, press F10 to save.

Then press ESCAPE to quit. The computer will boot from the USB drive if it is inserted and correctly formatted.

Solution