Freezing problem with new graphics card (Asus Radeon HD 7770)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elevations

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I have bought a brand new Asus Radeon HD 7770 DIRECTCU 1GHZ (OC Edition) And when launching games after 10-15 minutes the game will freeze my computer and leave a black screen power still running but have to hard reset the computer because no keyboard functions respond. It only occurs when i am in-game loading up the desktop is fine and i have experienced no black screen/frozen computer while only running the desktop with applications.

I had Catalyst Control Center Version: 12.8 and also tried 12.6 (which the card came with by default)

I installed the default drivers that came with the card. My old card (Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 2GB edition) works fine and doesn't experience this problem.

HELP?!

My computer specs:

Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Power Supply:
Corsair HX650 V2 650W Modular Power Supply 80Plus Gold (Brand New)

RAM (Random Access Memory):
CORSAIR Vengeance 16gb ( 2 x 8GB ) DDR3 1600Mhz Gaming Retail Pack (Brand New)

MotherBoard:
ASUS M5A78LM LX PLUS
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LX_PLUS/#specifications

CPU:
AMD Athlon II (x2) 260 3.2GHZ

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I have R6850 Cyclone and I had the same total freeze problem. I was told to update VBIOS of the card, which eliminated the freeze problem but killed the energy efficiency of the card.

My card was freezing while browsing the internet or playing a DVD/BD DVD movies disk withPowerDVD 12 Ultra. Now it never freezes. It is as smooth as silk.

The VBIOS update increased the idle-sate memory clock and core clock of my card. Core clock changes according to the load on the gfx card but memory clock is always constant at the max value.

You can temporarily increase the idle-state core and memory clocks by creating a profile. Increase the idle-state core clock by about 100% and core clock to the maximum. If the solution does not work for you, you can easily revert to the initial state by disabling the overclock and deleting the pofile you have created.

Hope this helps.

elevations

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

What VBIOS are you talking about? And how would i go about updating the VBIOS exactly? my card doesn't exactly come with a "BIOS"

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
VBIOS is video card's BIOS, just like M/B BIOS. You can use Asus Update Utility to check for updates, I guess.

But rather than updating VBIOS, you can increase core and memory clocks with the CCC utility of AMD and try increased clocks to see if they help.

AwakenSoul

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I would check on the comparability of your card with your board. Even though they say that PCIE 3.0 cars are backwards compatible there are bound to be some issues.

I personally think you should try updating the VBIOS like Suat suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.