Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo
Storage: Western Digital Black Performance 6TB
Storage: Western Digital Black Performance 6TB
Power: EVGA SuperNova 850W P2 80+ Platinum

Rarely (1-2 times) in an 8 hour period, the Samsung 970 Pro will show 100% usage, and the entire system will freeze until it returns to 0% usage. Also, during this time the response time stays within the normal margin.

Things I tried:
- Update Drivers
- Update Firmware
- Update BIOS
- Reinstall Windows 10
- Optimize/TRIM all drives
- 40GB/476GB Used
- Benchmarks show normal operation
- Windows is set to 'Highest Bitsum Performance'
- Removed overclocks with same result.
- All startup programs disabled
- Idled computer until it froze again after fresh reboot

- Does not happen in safe mode.

Right...but it can't be malware, I did a fresh install. And the problem only started when I got the 970 Pro.

It could be something with your NVMe drive's drivers. I know it's not the Pro versions, but a few of us have found hitching happening with the 970 EVOs by which the system will intermittently freeze for a second or two when using the Samsung NVMe V3 driver.

We have found that removing the Samsung NVMe driver (it's listed under "Add or Remove Programs->Samsung NVMe" or something to that effect) and restarting to run with the latest Windows 10 NVMe driver instead fixes the issue.

Update your OS to the latest (1809 currently) and then remove the Samsung NVMe driver and let us know if that fixes it for you.

Clicked Wrong Button lol
I will test this when I get home in about 10 hours. Any more ideas would be helpful. :)

So in my case - I did not have the drivers from the manufacturer's webpage like I should have. I know weird right? Anyways, I'll let you know within a few days if it freezes anymore or not.

One more thing - Can anyone help me confirm if and when writing to the 970 Evo/Pro (100% utilized such as a benchmark) if it is normal for the drive to have a response time of 1000ms or more? Thanks. (It is normally under 7ms)

mkdr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Hello, not sure if my problem is conneted to this, but I have the following problem on a laptop of mine with a Samsung 970 Evo 512GB.

The Windows Explororer randomly freezes when I open a folder, copy/delete a folder with lots of files, or even rename a file.

I have the Samsung NVMe driver installed 3.0.0.1802. should I remove it and use the Windows 10 driver? How do I remove it? Is it save to remove and reboot?

Hello, not sure if my problem is conneted to this, but I have the following problem on a laptop of mine with a Samsung 970 Evo 512GB.

The Windows Explororer randomly freezes when I open a folder, copy/delete a folder with lots of files, or even rename a file.

I have the Samsung NVMe driver installed 3.0.0.1802. should I remove it and use the Windows 10 driver? How do I remove it? Is it save to remove and reboot?
Its a good idea to try to update the firmware for the storage device first (Samsung Magician) then if the problem persists, to remove the Samsung NVMe driver using the Programs and Features utility in the control panel.

Aug 17, 2019
hey there!
So... I am actually having the same problem. I have the 970 evo plus 250 gigs, and when the GPU is under load, the drive is going to 100%, and the computer is freezing. I tried to do actually everything, but the same thing is happening again and again. What have you done, and how can i fix it too?
Thanks