[SOLVED] Freezing Screen When Playing Certain Games

Thatcrashingguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2015
As the title says, I've been having issues playing 2 games on my PC. Call of Duty Ghosts, and I also had this issue on COD: AW. While playing either of these games, the screen will simply freeze in place, and the game will stop responding (NOTE: I have never had this issue prior to a few days ago).

I can ctl + alt + del out of the game and my computer still works properly. This issue ONLY affects those 2 games, as I can play Battlefield 1, COH2, and all of my other games without any issues. I reinstalled graphics drivers (Used DDU first to clean up everything), I started COD: Ghosts and the game ran perfectly fine for 30 minutes, after which I stopped playing. The next time I started the game the issue started again. Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. Also worth noting I haven't installed any new hardware/software in the past few months

Solution
There were actually a couple cumulative updates in the last couple months for W10 1903, make sure you have them both. The fact that you didn't have the one I was speaking of is not a good indication of how you're doing your updating, as it had security updates as well. Those you should ALWAYS install as soon as they're available.

If you still have problems, I would start checking things like the video cable, voltages, temps, whether components/cables are plugged in tight, etc.

As for the spec, it's OK, except some models of CM PSUs are not so good. It's not a brand I'd trust for PSUs. What exact model of PSU is it? One thing you could try as well is plugging the system into a different outlet. Sometimes due to the age of a house/Apt...
If on W10 build 1903, make sure you install the cumulative update for it that just came out a couple days ago. I used to get freeze screen crashes in both Wolfenstein Youngblood and Gears 5, but since that install, they haven't happened.

Part of release notes for that update says something to the effect that certain errors are no longer generated, and I'm pretty sure they meant the common false errors that happened in 1903, the most prevalent of which were out of memory and GPU stopped responding.

Thatcrashingguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2015
Saw that I didn't have the cumulative update and I installed it. After starting the game and going into a trail match, the same issue occurred. About a minute into the game, the screen froze.

Saw that I didn't have the cumulative update and I installed it. After starting the game and going into a trail match, the same issue occurred. About a minute into the game, the screen froze.
If that's the case, I would start checking for loose component slots/cables, faulty video cable, and run malware and SFC scans. Also try disabling any startups one at a time then test after each. It's also a good idea to check for possible faulty components due to voltages, temps, etc.

You could also try reinstalling your GPU driver and make sure it's the latest. As well make sure each game you play has it's Redist files installed, which includes DirectX and Visual Studio.

Often times this kind of thing can be due to a conflict with a new device or software that was installed, even a codec if it happens during cutscenes trying to load.

Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

How to run SFC on W10 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

I may be able to advise better if you list your full spec.

Last edited:

Thatcrashingguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2015
Will do. I uninstalled them, and due to having slow download speeds it will take about a day to re-download each one. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime I will run a variety of security scans and make sure everything is in place.

Will do. I uninstalled them, and due to having slow download speeds it will take about a day to re-download each one. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime I will run a variety of security scans and make sure everything is in place.
Again, please list system spec.

The good thing is only those two games are having the problem, so it may very well be possible corruption in their files. Let me know if reinstalling them helps. For future reference though, if they're Steam versions, you can do a game file integrity check without having to reinstall.

Thatcrashingguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2015
Alright, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the one game, and as soon as I boot it up and play a match, the exact same thing happens. I went to Event Viewer and found this:
-------------
The program iw6mp64_ship.exe version 1.0.0.1 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 34f0
Start Time: 01d5802a65e40766
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Call of Duty Ghosts\iw6mp64_ship.exe
Report Id: 897617f3-80d4-4c2f-8eb3-a13106290ea7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Top level window is idle
------------

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core I7-4770
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8GB DDR3-1600
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 TI
PSU: Coolmaster 750 Watt (Bought 5 months ago, simply because I needed a new one and I'm on a budget)

Thatcrashingguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2015
After restarting the computer and doing the "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" in Command prompt, re-running SFC, and re-launching the game, it would hang for about 5 seconds, as I would alt-tab in/out of the game it would continue running and I could continue playing. Another thing to note is when I was loading into a match I received an error code that said "Failed to load asset (looked like a type of camo in-game) error code 00006 (Was all 0's and a 6)" Also, I found this in event viewer:

----------------

Fault bucket 1877345150745487573, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
Problem signature:
P1: iw6mp64_ship.exe
P2: 1.0.0.1
P3: 5ae0a37b
P4: d1a5
P5: 67246080
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:
Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF3E3.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Critical_iw6mp64_ship.exe_f3931c3764666338851abbcc5f8b61b8f449f587_eda04c2d_830042f5-96b2-4e53-8013-6e6798fc842e
Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: cdadb4f3-1bbb-48c2-9b95-e8f27c77ab62
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: baf2342de327182e1a0dab77cefca8d5
Cab Guid: 0
------------------------------------

There were actually a couple cumulative updates in the last couple months for W10 1903, make sure you have them both. The fact that you didn't have the one I was speaking of is not a good indication of how you're doing your updating, as it had security updates as well. Those you should ALWAYS install as soon as they're available.

If you still have problems, I would start checking things like the video cable, voltages, temps, whether components/cables are plugged in tight, etc.

As for the spec, it's OK, except some models of CM PSUs are not so good. It's not a brand I'd trust for PSUs. What exact model of PSU is it? One thing you could try as well is plugging the system into a different outlet. Sometimes due to the age of a house/Apt, the outlets get corroded, or they can also be wired poorly, with too many outlets on one circuit.

That said, if you're having errors while playing online, make sure you have the latest firmware update for your modem if on DSL. Also, it's a good idea to do regular speed, ping, and packet loss tests, and some sites do these tests.

It's ideal to have a low ping of no more than 10ms, but anything under 40 is fine. When it gets over 50 and especially over 100, problems like freezing and stutter and rubberband movement can result.

Packet loss tests should read 0 packets lost. Speed should be 80% or more of your advertised ISP service if on DSL, but quite often 100% or even more on cable. Do note that while VPNs are popular for home use now, they often cause problems with online gaming and can in many cases get you banned.

Last edited:
Solution