Freezing when scanning

My compute freezes when I scan for viruses and Spyware.

With Norton AV 2002 (with up to date definitions) it goes through about
73000 files and then freezes at WINDOWS/Driver Cache/i386
With Spybot Search and Destroy it gets most of the way through and
freezes at C2lop.BuildSend (whatever that may be).
No viruses or nasties reported up to point of freezing. I assume the
same conflict is involved in both of these separate problems.
I also scan with Ad Aware with no problems.

I am using XP Home. Any ideas or suggestions as to what to do about it.
It would be a pain having to do a fill reinstall but I am worried that i
am missing some nasties here

Denis.
--
Denis Scadeng
denis@burdon.demon.co.uk

dude

With Norton 2002 which is an older version my question
is , How do you know for sure you have the latest update
definitions ... I would believe that you don't really
have the definitions up to date .. Have you been paiding
each year ( 2003 , 2004 )to Norton so that you are able
to use Norton 2002 version for update definitions ??? If
not , Then you aren't getting the latest definitions ...
Just because when you click the definitions to be updated
with your Norton program and it shows that it looks like
its updating , it really isn't unless you paid each year
to Norton for this , Have you been ???

Hi, Denis.

Using an out-of-date anti-virus program is not quite as bad as having no AV,
but it may be worse than no protection at all, because then you know you are
at risk and will be more careful. As you probably know, AV programs don't
even try to stop spyware, adware and other forms of malware. It's important
to use several different forms of protection against different kinds of
threats.

Norton 2002 can use updated virus definitions, which you can continue to
download at no charge. But each year's AV "engine" gains techniques to
detect new forms of viruses that the older AVs don't even think to check
for. You need to update both the definitions (free) and the AV engine
(costs money, either by a paid subscription or by buying the new CD
package). The new CD package also gets you a newer interface, often with
new options that weren't available before. My preference is to buy the
Norton Internet Security package of AV (including a new year's subscription
to updates), firewall and anti-spam; the newest version is NIS 2005. The
full price is $69.99, but discounts and rebates are often available, making
the net price not much more than a definition subscription renewal alone.
This firewall replaces the one included in WinXP. The built-in firewall
protects only against intrusion from outside; other versions add protection
from malware that somehow slips in and then tries to "phone home" with your
secrets. There are many brands of firewalls, both free and commercial; be
sure you are using one.

I've never had the Lop problem, but I've read many messages about it here.
If you post a new message with "lop" in the Subject line, you probably will
get some excellent advice about how to get rid of that one.

EVERY time you run Ad-aware and SpyBot S&T, you should be sure to first
check for and download any updates.

Skim a few days' messages here. You will find plenty of posts with advice
for a thorough plan of protection from all kinds of nasties.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX