Freezing when viewing or editing images only

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Hey, anyone know why my PC keeps freezing when viewing or editing images?
It happens when editing or viewing raw files in Camera Raw (Photoshop and Lightroom) and when viewing images with any of the Windows Viewers It can happen after 2 seconds, or 20 minutes, totally random.
I never get freezes when doing anything else, I can browse, watch videos, play games (eg GTA V)
all day long and no freezes.

I've updated all my drivers, run memtest86, prime95 and gpu benchmarks and I never have any trouble. I've run virus and malware scans SFC and it repaired a few permission issues but still getting freezes. I've got a system managed pagefile and plenty of free space too.. ssds and a hdd.

It was happening on W8.1 and I just installed W10 10074 fresh on a new, clean, different ssd and the same thing is happening.

Since I think I've ruled out most Hardware AND Software problems I'm a bit confused. I recently got a new 4K monitor, could there be some color incompatibility with images going on? A driver conflict? It's strange that it's only happening with images and nothing else..

Can't get any logs or dumps either since I have to use the reset button every time.

Hardware info is in my sig..

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Nobody got any ideas? This is still going on..
The weird thing is after a lockup it's like my pc jumps back in time, eg. files that Ive deleted come back from the recycle bin, and my desktop icons also rearrange themselves back to the (default) left of the screen. I had the icons arranged the way I wanted them eg, audio/video shortcuts on top, programs on the right etc.
I don't have system restore turned on so it's not that..

Does Windows temporarily store settings somewhere before writing them to disk? pagefile or in ram or something maybe? might give a clue as to whats happening..

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
OK so I think I finally solved this myself.

After reinstalling Windows and swapping around some components, hard drives, memory etc, I narrowed it down to either the cpu or the motherboard. I increased the voltage to the cpu by 0.25V in the bios and the problem was not as frequent. I then increased it again to +0.50V and the problem is now gone.

I'm thinking that either the cpu has degraded slightly or the motherboard is leaking power somewhere or something like that, and the problem didn't show until the computer was being stressed in a particular way.

Anyway I'll just leave this here in case it helps somebody else in the future..

TRENDING THREADS