Freezing while playing games

Jul 9, 2018
Hi there,

Recently my pc has been freezing while playing Black desert online. When it freezes it completely locks up and send this loud krrrrrrr noise in my headset(scares the crap out of me everytime) and am unable to do anything i have to hold my finger on the power button to shut it down and then wait for it to come back up. I always monitor my temps on my second monitor and they look good CPU never gets higher that 70c under load and GPU 80c under load. I have checked event viewer and it only shows the kernel power loss which just tells me the pc was shut down unexpectedly.

I phone UK gaming computers(the place i got the pc) and they said it sounds like a software issue and have told me to wipe windows and then try again. So i will try that but its a fairly fresh install and has been fine for months, is there any programs out there i can run to check if its a software issue?

Personally i think its the heat as we've been getting some mega hot weather the past few weeks and thats when is seems to have started... im not sure.

O/S: Windows 10

Case: Game max draco

Power Supply: Corsair RM750x 750W

Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0Ghz

Processor Cooler: Gamemax Iceberg 120mm Water Cooler

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz [2x8GB]

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB

Hard Drive: Samsung 250GB 850 Evo Solid State Drive

2nd Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive 7200rpm 64MB

Thanks in advance,

Solution
Two things come to mind. Have you opened up your case and used canned air or an air compressor (40-50psi) to clean out the dust and dirt.
2nd: sounds a lot like the power supply (and again, it could be from heat and /or dirt build up). If you have access to a Known, Good, Working psu (either another PC in the household/family, or a friend willing to loan you his/her's) try installing it and see if the problem persists: if it does then the problem is probably with the motherboard or maybe software. If you don't experience the problem with the known working psu, then you have unfortunately had a rare failure of your Corsair PSU. (EVERY manufacturer has new, quality psu's that fail, that's why the Corsair has such a good warranty).
Two things come to mind. Have you opened up your case and used canned air or an air compressor (40-50psi) to clean out the dust and dirt.
2nd: sounds a lot like the power supply (and again, it could be from heat and /or dirt build up). If you have access to a Known, Good, Working psu (either another PC in the household/family, or a friend willing to loan you his/her's) try installing it and see if the problem persists: if it does then the problem is probably with the motherboard or maybe software. If you don't experience the problem with the known working psu, then you have unfortunately had a rare failure of your Corsair PSU. (EVERY manufacturer has new, quality psu's that fail, that's why the Corsair has such a good warranty).

Solution
Jul 9, 2018

Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately i dont have a spare PSU to try but i will definitely get a can of air and clean everything out. Its got to do with the heat as i was gaming all day yesterday and was alot cooler and it didnt freeze once.